New mod - Page 3

New mod

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

rattle
Damned Developer

Re: New mod

Post by rattle »

I was kidding...
rcdraco

Post by rcdraco »

I can sorta script, and sorta model, and sorta get sounds. Scripting is a pain, when you have to deal with people like rattle, but at least you'll learn it. As far as mechs are concerned, I have two working mechs in my mod, so frankly, they can't be that hard. I'm wishing you all the luck, but if it can't run on my e-machine, it's kinda pointless to make, since I have a little above the average BA players specs.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Caydr wrote:Think I'm kidding? By the end of the week, you won't. If I don't follow through with that, go ahead and call this a fake and a fraud and anything else, because I'd deserve it.
The week is over.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Google_Frog wrote:
rattle wrote:Differentiation is for noobs.
Yea, I agree. Once you know the game differentiation is not needed as much. But the point is everyone is going to be a noob at a new game at some stage so wouldn't it be nice if it was easier to learn.
Play TA then kthx, some people enjoy a game with deep, involving gameplay rather than "omfg spam"
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Subject to change yada yada

So here's what's going on... Since there's just one of me, I've decided I should work on one race at a time. That way there's something playable sooner. Currently I have finished:

All tech 1 units
All tech 1 buildings
"Commander" unit
8 tech 2 buildings
1 tech 2 unit
2 tech 3 units

They remain untextured and unscripted. I'm going to hold off posting too much material until I've at least started on texturing, but I'll show some models soon.

Put one of them ingame with a placeholder 1024x1024 texture and basic scripting (functioning, but no explosion or anything fancy) and performance is comparable to the new version of AA.

To give an idea of what detail levels I'm aiming for, the lowest triangle count so far is ~1000 including weapons. Highest is ~3500 excluding weapons. Largest weapon count so far is 14. Smallest unit is approximately jeffy sized, largest is a little bigger than a krogoth. When I said super high detail, I mean supcommish, don't worry that I mean just polygons for the sake of polygons. I've learned a few techniques for saving polys since my work on GEM, too.

This is actually being worked on, progress is being made, seals are being clubbed, etc.

edit:

(printscreen failed me when I needed it most)

Unbelievable timing... Anyways, sundays are part of the previous week as far as I'm concerned. After sunday, the "week" begins. Before that, you're still in happyland.
SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Funny, to me, zwz's post shows at 8:00, and mine at 8:03 (a full 3 minutes later). I saw zwz's post before I even hit "reply"
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

SpikedHelmet wrote:Funny, to me, zwz's post shows at 8:00, and mine at 8:03 (a full 3 minutes later). I saw zwz's post before I even hit "reply"
Look closely at the pic.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

^Indeed. Pics or it didn't happen.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

I posted a picture.

I'll have pictures - ones related to the mod - when I'm good and ready. I have a 9-12 month timeline planned, and the project's been worked on for a little over a week now, so I think it would be foolish to post pictures prematurely of content that may never actually be used. If you want to see proof I know how to model, look up a GEM thread. That's the detail level I'm shooting for, and probably with just as much excessive polygonnage that would be better done with textures, but I don't really care...

Nice to see you, Mr Bruce. Gone skiing recently?
Last edited by Caydr on 16 Jan 2008, 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Er, in invisible ink? Sorry, couldn't resist ;)
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Caydr wrote:Image
Seriously Argh, you've been working on computers too long, your eyesight is failing you.

w00t, I'm in the bonus round, I didn't even take a picture with anything incriminating on my taskbar.
Argh

Post by Argh »

That's not a pic, it's just a blog. Show us some eye-candeh! :-)
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

*squint* Anime folder? Busted.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

Anime? No, that's ... armmine. Armmine01. Micro. 250 damage, 8 hit points.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Caydr wrote:Nice to see you, Mr Bruce. Gone skiing recently?
No fool it's summer... you know that time when it's warm and the suns out for longer... the sun, that big yellow thing in the sky... oh right, Canada.

Still, Rule 24 - pics or it didn't happen. Doesn't matter if you're not going to use it, we need proof something's happening :P
lurker

Post by lurker »

Rule 34 on land mines!
smoth

Post by smoth »

caydr, only newfags believe in any rule other then 34...

the rest were made up by gaia fags.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

lurker wrote:Rule 34 on land mines!
*dies a little inside*
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

Das Bruce wrote:No fool it's summer... you know that time when it's warm and the suns out for longer... the sun, that big yellow thing in the sky... oh right, Canada.
no shit. goddamn its been hot out east aucks the last few weeks. whats it like in your corner of auckland?

Return to “Game Development”