new mod proposal

new mod proposal

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

slayer98k

new mod proposal

Post by slayer98k »

ok guys im a huge fan total annihilation and have played it for over 1000 hours but this new engine you have is great for so many types of gaming so i no you guys already have a few mods going like spring44 and star wars spring but i was wondering since the community is growing so fast if you would like to try a modern warfare mod, kind of like command and conquer generals zero hour. i would give a link but new users cant so....................just try googling it

so lets hear some feadback shall we?
:-)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We have one known as World Domination which has ceased development, but I'm open to all sorts of ideas.
slayer98k

Post by slayer98k »

thats stinky that it died....well lets hope maybe i fresh start will do the trick

sorry to all for starting this in the rong discussion category like a noob.
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

it hasnt died per se. GZ is still working on it, but he is a bit busy running up and down hills in Korea iirc.
slayer98k

Post by slayer98k »

would it be possible for others to give him a hand or find more people to skin and program?
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Sorry to be hardass, but frankly... IMO "mod proposals" pretty much shouldn't even be posted unless you either intend to do it yourself, or you have 5000+ words of design document.

People making mods are putting serious hourage into their projects, either because they really love the concept of a project that they joined, or because the concept is thier own and it's their baby.

If you're not willing to either attempt to prove objectively you have a better sense of game design theory than everyone else here, or prove that even if your design theory isn't brilliant you're willing to do the work and make the game good anyways, then it's really kindof ludicrous to expect any modder to take even the slightest interest in your project. There's a reason they aren't already working on a project like yours if a really really really great idea was as simple as that.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

And given swift's post, I fancy posting up "How to write a SPRING Game Design Doc" at some point. I think I might.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I don't think I've ever really seen a design document for a spring game that I've considered remarkably good yet...
kiki

Post by kiki »

Shall I change that? Ill get writing right away ):>
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Swift, I write the damn things at a profesional level. It's not fun :P

So yah, over christmas, amongst my other projects, I'll write a "How to write a design document for Spring" thing up.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I've seen one template by Chris Taylor. I don't think a Spring design document has to be as complete as that since many questions (like the GUI and such) are answered by the engine already.
kiki

Post by kiki »

There has to be a TEMPLATE for a TEMPLATE? A design doc is a template, and there is no need to create recursive systems here
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

There has to be a TEMPLATE for a TEMPLATE? A design doc is a template, and there is no need to create recursive systems here
Whoa there, don't just rush in. You need an outline for the design document for the template of the template.

As for the topic itself: World Domination is really good, although it has some small kinks. I haven't found an AI that works properly with it yet however.
I play it with KAI 0.12, and that only works if I first switch teams and self destruct the AI's Command Vehicle (yes, after it has built some basic construction buildings), since the game crashes if I attack it.

Ground Zero claims he's still working on the mod in any case. Just check out the thread TA:WD in the Mods forum.
And the mod itself can be downloaded here:
http://www.unknown-files.net/spring/276 ... on_v5B651/

If you want some screenshots check these out:
http://springwd.hairminator.com/mamba.html
http://springwd.hairminator.com/power.html
would it be possible for others to give him a hand or find more people to skin and program?
There's actually some pretty good tutorials around, so how about yourself?
slayer98k

Post by slayer98k »

ok guys heres the deal....i personaly would love to put thousands of hours into this kind of ordeal but i havent really gone knee deep in this kind of thing
but i would absolutely love to.

and to swifts shooter down comment up there i have been thinking about this mod for over a week straight being that i am on 3week vacation and bored out of my mind :cry:
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

lbctech wrote:There has to be a TEMPLATE for a TEMPLATE? A design doc is a template, and there is no need to create recursive systems here
Erm, no. A design doc is not a template, it's a specification. A template is a form you just fill your data into, a spec is a goal for an implementation.
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

ok guys heres the deal....i personaly would love to put thousands of hours into this kind of ordeal but i havent really gone knee deep in this kind of thing
but i would absolutely love to.

and to swifts shooter down comment up there i have been thinking about this mod for over a week straight being that i am on 3week vacation and bored out of my mind
The thing is that there's like a person every week who waltzes into the forum and says "Hey people! I have this fantastic idea!", so in order to actually drum up a team to do something you have to stand out from the crowd by either showing that you have some skills on your own, or as Swift said, an extensive design document.

I'd love to be able to just throw ideas out there while other people would put them together for me, but it doesn't really work that way (sadly enough :)

If you do step up and try to give a go at modding, I can promise you that there's a whole lot of help and support to get in the forums. There's a lot of combined knowledge to tap if you ask the right questions and show that you have ambition.

Hope I've been of help here.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Not even a design document will make people work for you IMO. The best way to have your dream mod is to start doing it yourself, to show that you're competent and willing. Then maybe other people will help. But no amount of text and arguing will make other people do it for you.

And no, the community isn't growing so fast. Spring's almost four year old already, and it has yet to explose.
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

zwzsg wrote:Not even a design document will make people work for you IMO.
You forget force! With some contacts in organised crime you can probably get a team going easier. Just a matter of making an offer the devs 'can't refuse'.
zwzsg wrote: And no, the community isn't growing so fast. Spring's almost four year old already, and it has yet to explose.
Aye, to me it even seemed more active when I started checking it out back in '05. I think this is a major issue actually, and we as a community should put more energy into exposure, and cut newcomers a whole lot of more slack so they stick around. There's loads of antagonism towards new people (maybe stemming from the highly competative nature of most mods).
And I think every single instance of "Hay gauys, I haves a mod idea, can you make it for me?!" diserves a corteous, although firm, responce, followed by a link to some solid tutorials. No matter how tired we are of answering these.

The strong point of open source (as most of you are very aware of) is a large community. You beat the resources of commercial devs with pure numbers.
So again, we should pimp ourselves a whole lot more, and be sweet as sugar to new people.
DZHIBRISH

Post by DZHIBRISH »

It's not about exposure.
Spring needs a user friendly lobby that can download maps/mods/widgets/etc by itself,that has built in replays and a very user friendly design.
Untill that the community cant grow.Many people seen spring at least once but only a small precentage actually gets to understand what the game is all about to love it.
Its the communites top priority to do this and make the game less cpu/gpu/memory demending.
Without that,especially the first thing the community will not grow.[/quote]
HildemarDasce

Post by HildemarDasce »

DZHIBRISH wrote:It's not about exposure.
Spring needs a user friendly lobby that can download maps/mods/widgets/etc by itself,that has built in replays and a very user friendly design.
Untill that the community cant grow.Many people seen spring at least once but only a small precentage actually gets to understand what the game is all about to love it.
Its the communites top priority to do this and make the game less cpu/gpu/memory demending.
Without that,especially the first thing the community will not grow.
Actually, I totally second that. Most RTS players I know try out a game by just firing up a skirmish against the AI. Which is quite a project in Spring, especially if you want to run a more obscure mod.
If the only option to this is going online, where everyone has some kind of feverish hatred of new players, it's a big obstacle to a thriving community.

Return to “Game Development”