Unit Fly Level (Fly Height)

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Fri13

Post by Fri13 »

I would like to make few new unit what have different fly level. Currently it seems that normal fly level is ~200-300 and if i set it higer as 800, units dont know anymore where to go.

Somehow units loose way to "touch" waypoints and starts just flying around waypoint. They dont attact or do anything else until they get "touched" that waypoint (waypoint can be enemy or waypoint) and then they continue to next one.

Im thinking problem is that turn rate is too BIG or too SMALL but i have changed them without affect. I have even tryed to change LOS to bigger than fly level if it would be from that, no help.

So question is, how i make new unit to fly higer, like 800 and same time LOS could be lower so it is just radar vehicle or needs radar contact to attack enemy units BUT still can fly trought waypoints as 200-300 fly level units?

I have even edited older units to check is my unit wrong but same happends with all units so is it really so that flying units cannot fly over 300 fly alt?

Is there something what i have missed? Rule that those units cannot fly over sertain level altitude or what?
Fri13

Re: Unit Fly Level (Fly Height)

Post by Fri13 »

It seems no one knows reason why flying units will loose their ability to follow waypoints when fly height goes over certain limit?
Abokasee

Post by Abokasee »

When you say, they don't attack the point, this usually because the target is out of range (A AA turret won't attack with a 200 range weapon vs a 500 altitude aircraft) so it won't bother, if its in close range, it will dive too attack
Pressure Line

Post by Pressure Line »

i think he means move waypoints, its a known engine bug.

there are so many things wrong with aircraft right now, that imo its not worth trying to fix this one bug
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

lurker fixed the aircraft waypoints stuff
lurker

Post by lurker »

Forboding Angel wrote:lurker fixed the aircraft waypoints stuff
No I didn't. :|
REVENGE

Post by REVENGE »

lurker wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:lurker fixed the aircraft waypoints stuff
No I didn't. :|
BAD SLAVE. GETTOWURK!!!!!!
Fri13

Post by Fri13 »

Okay, where i can find more info about this bug? I would like to know what is max fly height for airplanes so they can follow patrol points and have working attack to enemy.

currently planes attack to target if it is first run but if target survives after that strike, plane need to come around and then it will miss that point and starts just flying around that target until it fly as commanded first straight and then turn back to have new straight attack run.

I hope this will be fixed after 0.76 version (what should come now in these few days?) to 0.77 or something. Even better if fix comes to 0.76 so i can continue my mod ;-)

I think that spring needs more settings to units. Not just range what gun can shoot but range for ammunition when it activates and when it runs power out. Primarily for missiles or grenades. Like missile/torpedo need to travel 20 "something" until it gets active and then it can destroy something. So we just dont have maximum range but minimum range roo.
So missile isn't active from 0 to 320 but 50 to 320.
Or when submarine shoots torpedo, it is needed to be certain range away from target so torpedo gets armed.

This could help for that units dosn't destroy themselfs when shooting enemy.
But isn't there setting too what tells that unit need to be certain range away from target until it can shoot or it escape until it can shoot?

I'm big fan those submarine simulations and i would like to see bigger sea fights on spring than just on small lake where dozens of submarines shoots each others in close range :-)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

well someone did, cause it works correctly now in svn.

The bombers in evolution fly at 600 cruisealt, and suffer no ill side effects.

Return to “Game Development”