Navi: Hey, Listen!

Navi: Hey, Listen!

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

I made a second version for Gundam, this one turns the two different mutators into a single mod with a combobox in the mod options to choose the type of commander. This is just a proposal for now.

But first we have to clear something up: This version includes the gadget handler. Does this mean the whole mod would have to be licensed under the GPL? No drama about your preferences please, I want an official word for once. It's neither acceptable nor possible to release Gundam under the GPL so this version can only be used if the issue is resolved by either making sure that the GPL does not spread beyond the gadget handler or simply including the gadget handler in the Spring base directory. I'd prefer the second option since then we'll always have a properly maintained gadget handler in SVN instead of having to trawl CA's SVN and hoping the gadget handler you download is one that's meant for SVN instead of an older Spring version.

EDIT: Okay, seems there's a version of the gadget handler in LuaGadgets. I didn't even know that's a valid directory o_O
EDIT2: The build.bat for springcontent.sdz doesn't include the gadget handler...
smoth

Post by smoth »

KDR if you can do it without the gpl stuff installed do what you want as far as the combo box stuff, I trust you with it. Sorry for the delay.

I thought the gadget handler was supposed to be with spring so we wouldn't have to do the lua gpl crap?
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Untill trepan returns and is persuaded to make an official statement to clear this up you're in GPL land.
smoth

Post by smoth »

who says he has any reason to come back and I am not arguing it again, "mods" are aggregate and not derivative.
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

The gadget handler is in SVN now, I can repack the modoptions version of Gundam to remove the gadget handler files but since uploading takes a long time I'll do that tomorrow.
smoth

Post by smoth »

thanks. With gadget handler in the svn we no longer have to fiddle with the gpl crap YAY!
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Regardless of wether mods are aggregations or not gpl specifically states that any code linking or using other gpl code must also be gpl'ed. Your problem still remains while you're using trepans lua APIs.
chillaaa

Post by chillaaa »

Someone bully him in to re-releasing them under a better license then.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Indeed, now if only we knew where he was =(
lurker

Post by lurker »

Actually he's on irc, if it's a good idea to bug him...
smoth

Post by smoth »

AF wrote:Regardless of wether mods are aggregations or not gpl specifically states that any code linking or using other gpl code must also be gpl'ed. Your problem still remains while you're using trepans lua APIs.
I said not to get into this retarded debate again didn't I.... prepare for derail..

gundam isn't released in a usable form, it is released as a set of aggregate content that in and of it's self cannot link to the binary. It cannot use the code at all as it is just CONTENT that is sitting there on a site. I also know someone who is my FUTURE BOSS and who has his own GPL code. Gundam is fine, sure argue what you want but I promise you I have some parties that I have also consulted and the party in question has not given me permission to release said knowledge as stated by him.

However, I do have 2 sources that both say, no gundam is safe. If Gundam WAS running the gpl code that is one thing. If gundam required the library to build that is one thing.. and if gundam was BASED on any of that code is one thing but it is none. I do not want to get into this stupid argument with you. However, all discussions are always derailed by you and you believe yourself to be the absolute authority on all matters coding or otherwise. So because I cannot win with you, because you know everything and cannot have a discussion.

Also, mr. IKNOWEVERYTHING... trepan has already given us an answer, he has made several additions to CA. CA IS NOT GPL... but it contains GPL CODE THAT TREPAN PUT THERE! So, where does that leave you? NOWHERE!

I request that this discussion be SPLIT AND LOCKED rather then people having to sit through a wall of drama and stupid because YOU, AF KNOW ALL! I will not argue it, anyone who knows gpl will tell you gundam is fine.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Smoth, calm down. AF, read up.

Return to “Game Development”