Nethack (Roguelike) mod?

Nethack (Roguelike) mod?

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

url_00

Nethack (Roguelike) mod?

Post by url_00 »

Is this a good idea?
Or am I just going insane?

(I'll make it if it's a good idea)
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Proceed with elaboration. How would you translate that playstyle to a 3d RTS engine?
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

lol? asking people for recognition in making a mod?

If you wanna make it, go ahead. I am making a mod of a universe that is unheard of, and may be accepted badly. I still wanna make it, that shit is so cool... :twisted:
Argh

Post by Argh »

Making multiplayer Gauntlet, the closest realtime approximation of Nethack I can think of, would be difficult, but not impossible. I would suggest that a very simple approximation might be a good starting ground.

We have a lot of the tools to do it now, including level code, once Tower Defense is available.

And, in theory, we could use LUA to generate random maps, with walls, as mazes. The code for generation of ASCII mazes is certainly available, for all of the Roguelikes... it's one short step from there to making it plunk down "walls". Getting it all to come together, and be anything more than a collection of random code, though... a little tough, I suspect.
smoth

Post by smoth »

doable if we get melee.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

Probably possible with some heavy scripting, but the real question is why you'd use an engine unsuited to your goals to create it?
Zpock

Post by Zpock »

I'm still wondering, if it's possible to change unit stats (like maxhp, speed, weapons, etc, basically everything in the FBI) directly with LUA, you will definitely need this for RPGs.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yes it is.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

But as felix says, this really isnt the engine for an RPG, least of all a roguelike.
url_00

Post by url_00 »

Umm...
Let me be more clear.
Gameplay is unchanged, aka you build a base and make units and that sort of thing.

It's just that the units are Nethack/Rougelike characters.

Right now I have 2 units modeled and textured, now I'm working on scripting!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

url_00 wrote:Right now I have 2 units modeled and textured,
Pics! :-)
Last edited by zwzsg on 26 Aug 2007, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Snipawolf

Post by Snipawolf »

Indeed, I would like to see your work.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Oh, ell oh ell. In that case, awesome.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

good luck!
url_00

Post by url_00 »

Here's what I got so far (more really)
Image Image

Then I relized I don't know how to script, or any of the part of mod making!
So, could I do the model/texute work any sombody else do the other stuff plz? :|
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Looks like too many polygons, to me. Dont really need that many. Otherwise, cool (For an @).

I couldnt get the file to do anything either, 7zip says there is nothing in there.
Argh

Post by Argh »

@url_00

Er, you're not seriously going to build ASCII characters are ye? That's kind've a waste, frankly. Just do color-coded low-poly shapes, if you can't do character models, or use Icons and settings where users will always see Icons all the time, and make the .S3Os invisible (yes, all of this is 100% doable).

25% of making this work is going to necessarily be LUA code, in terms of development time, or higher, depending on how hardcore you want to be, in terms of actually re-creating things from NetHack. If you don't know any LUA yet, now's the perfect time to sit down and learn it. It's not much fun (for me, at least, thus far), but it's still very powerful, and will continue to become more powerful as things go, I suspect.

That's why I suggest that you do a Gauntlet clone first- far easier to code, and you can build on it from there, by slowly weeding out Gauntlet-like features (monster spawners, etc.) while replacing them with a more genuine multiplayer NetHack experience (randomized levels, shops, all of the spells and crazy monster effects, etc., etc., etc.) whilst keeping the realtime feel.

Besides the core code, which would be fairly gnarly stuff (maze-generator, making "keys", making the teleport / level-end, making a between-level shop, like Gauntlet had) there's the rest of the iceberg, if you don't want a mere curiousity: unit scripting, weapons and FX work, to make it feel like a serious game.

If ya can't do characters that bring it to life, and can't code, and can't animate.... then mainly you've got an idea... which is not a bad one, as ideas go, but you need to develop some skills. Or find me a large coterie of artists, and pay my bills for the next six months. Whichever comes first ;)

Seriously... while I don't think Spring would ever really be suitable for, say, an RPG (possible, but meh, you're just asking for pain, and why not just mod NWN?) ... I think that a semi-action game is entirely possible... but ideas are worthless, without skills to back them up. I think up far more games, and game-design ideas, than I ever finish, and I try my best to do them all :P
NightfallGemini

Post by NightfallGemini »

if anything it'd have to work like the warcraft 3 hero system. it's the only real way I can think of it working in an RTS engine.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Why not make an "unroguelike" game? I mean, like Diablo (the first) was, with random dungeons and stuff.

The Spring engine is as good for this as any other, not less because it is opensource.
BlackLiger

Post by BlackLiger »

Sean Mirrsen wrote:Why not make an "unroguelike" game? I mean, like Diablo (the first) was, with random dungeons and stuff.

The Spring engine is as good for this as any other, not less because it is opensource.
On topic: Yeah, sounds like a plan.

Off topic: OMG OMG OMG A SEAN MIRRSEN! QUICK, GRAB THE CAPTURE NET!

Return to “Game Development”