Tower Defense thread. - Page 6

Tower Defense thread.

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

For the MG icon have more than one round displayed... Currently it looks like it could be anything from a VL missile to a cannon... Not that people wouldn't learn fast, but it's just a little more iconic that machine guns shoot many many bullets than one single bullet.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I was just noting this. I'm pretty tired and I had just read about fifty or so threads - didn't mean to offend.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

neddiedrow wrote:I like that, but you may need to push the counters up visually, right now they overlap with units selected.
THey are moved now. I had put them there, working off the Colorful Tooltips widget, which has slightly smaller tool tips. They lined up nicely there, but then when smoth used it without the widget, it didnt fit :( But yes, dont worry, its all fixed now :-)
trepan
Former Engine Dev

Post by trepan »

You could use a widget to display the info and allow it to be moved around.

A similar sort of setup was used with the deployment LuaRules; a fixed
location gadget version that is disabled when the widget version is available.

The CreateTeamRulesParams(), SetTeamRulesParam(), and
GetTeamRulesParams() calls might be the easiest way to pass the data
(or the Game versions of those calls, I don't really know what plans you
have for multiplayer).
smoth

Post by smoth »

Laser turrets in order, 3,2,1.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

smoth wrote:Image

OH LAWD, now no one will see your post 'cause there are screenshots :P

HOLY S****

THIS JUST KEEPS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER \o/
Lippy

Post by Lippy »

This will be the best towerdefense game in the history of mankind. (seriously; i'm not joking; no flash game will ever come close to this, and I doubt that any mod for other games will surpass this in the near future)
Satirik
Lobby Developer

Post by Satirik »

this will be the fastest made mod ever !!
klapmongool

Post by klapmongool »

(first post on this forum)

Looks great already, and that after such little time! great job! Also a great idea by AF to get working on a zone control mod! (mucho fun and more of a player vs player experience). I know i spend too much time on both TD as zonecontrol in WC3 when i was tired of laddering ;)

ino i didnt read all the thread but 'from WC3 im both used to TD's where the units walk in their own path as well as TD's where you can use the towers to make lines to block the units, suppose the latter is not within reach?

Great job, can't wait to test the beta!
smoth

Post by smoth »

don't hype it up too much, hype only leads to disappointment. I am doing some modeling still today and then playing with the gui, if all goes well maybe tomorrow there will be a video.
Sleksa

Post by Sleksa »

well stop hyping when you release a beta ;]
imbaczek

Post by imbaczek »

Don't hype up? I was addicted to friggin desktop tower defence and you're making one in spring. How am I supposed to not hype up? 8)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

By thinking it'll be crap, so that you'll be pleasantly surprised when it isn't
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Guessmyname wrote:By thinking it'll be crap, so that you'll be pleasantly surprised when it isn't
This is known as the "Revenge of the Sith" effect. If you set your expectations low enough, even the worst turds look good.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Episode II: Clone Wars failed that test for me.
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

neddiedrow wrote:Episode II: Clone Wars failed that test for me.
False. Clone wars was every bit as bad as the first, which is what you expected. A lot of people I talked to said "better than the first, but still sucked", which fits with the principle - their bad expectations mitigated its craptitude.

Ep III was a mediocre movie that is revered as the one that redeemed the prequels because the first two were so miserably bad.

In other words: if you expect it to suck hard and it sucks hard, you go "ho hum" (as in ep II). However, if you expect it to suck hard and it only sucks a little (as in ep III) then you go "yay!".
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

No, it didn't look good. It looked worse. I couldn't expect them to do worse than Phantom Menace - I even saw it on a date.
Saktoth
Zero-K Developer

Post by Saktoth »

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Get back on topic. Not overhyping is a good thing, but if this mod even works at all its going to open up a lot of new avenues for modders (Assuming you let other people work with what you've made here), even if its just the lua.
smoth

Post by smoth »

saktoth, you know I believe in giving to the community. My team feels the same. We are probably going to CC this whole thing so you guys can use the code to do other things. Although, if someone makes a variant, I would personally prefer to include it with the minigame as a mutator, that way people only have to download one thing.
Tim Blokdijk

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

CC-SA that way you can include any variant made.

And about hype, you could release the 'crappy' alpha. Would stop the build-up of expectations. But I would not recommend it as you would have to deal with people that start to give feedback on all the clearly known bugs.

And I have a "process" related question, who is involved in development and how are you coordinating? PM me if you like.

Return to “Game Development”