Zone Control

Zone Control

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Boirunner
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Zone Control

Post by Boirunner »

I made a mod! It's still in alpha, but it's playable and fun.

Zone Control

Image Image Image

Zone Control is a minimalistic mod, focusing on territory control on a large, symmetrical and tiled map consisting of rectangular "zones".

Your commander, and starting unit, is a lab. You can build a single attack unit, and a builder. In turn, the builder can build metal extractors, turrets, and more labs.

Turrets are very powerful and have a long range, but can only be built on designated spots (geos). Metal extractors can be built on the round metal in the middle of the zones. Metal is the only resource, there is no energy economy.

To win, you must control as much territory as possible, and attack focused, while not leaving your own lab open to enemy attacks. Since the map is huge, strategic placement and use of your units is as important as economic territory control.

The mod is focuses on macro, and the towers are very strong. Still, you can't porc, only one tower can be built in range of your home base.

Play this mod with random starting positions, comm ends. It might be fun to increase the starting metal to 2000 or so.

Currently, Zone Control is implemented as a CA rip off, using its models and explosions. If the gameplay works out, and Zone Control seems to be a fun game, I would love to start a project to make unique graphics and sounds for this mod.

Right now, I invite you to join me playing this, so I can test the balance.

DOWNLOAD ZONE CONTROL 0.1.2

Zone Control Map

Zone Control Mod
Last edited by Boirunner on 29 Jun 2007, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

note: not intended as a clone of the popular zone control game ported to numerous other engines such as Supremme commander.
smoth

Post by smoth »

correction, I missed part of the description... never mind.
Last edited by smoth on 28 Jun 2007, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Yeah, simbase is all about territory control O_o
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

I just played a game against Overkill and figured out that the turrents are pretty OP in 0.1.1. They should be powerful, but I think this is a bit much.

After another game I changed my mind, the super-turrets pwn!

Edit: 0.1.2 released. Turrets cost more now, and units no longer leave wreckage.
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

have you considered making it a mod-in-a-map since its a pretty map dependent mod anyway.
smoth

Post by smoth »

or include the maps with the mod!!!!
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

smoth wrote:or include the maps with the mod!!!!
You can do that?

o_O
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, part of the reason I have pushed for sm3 is that the sm3 files are small and having several maps included with my game package would be easy.
Boirunner

Post by Boirunner »

As soon as the mod is stable and balanced enough for a non-temporary release that might be a good idea.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Including more than one map in a mod archive would nuke all those maps by making lobbies discard their entries due to duplicate checksums.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

AF wrote:Including more than one map in a mod archive would nuke all those maps by making TASClient discard their entries due to duplicate checksums.
Fixed :P
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

no, the way the lobby works aflobby and tasclient and unity lobby all do this behaviour, its inherited from unitsync and the requirements of the lobby protocol.
KlavoHunter

Post by KlavoHunter »

Why not combine the turret and metal extractor into one unit that has to be built on a geo spot?
rcdraco

broke

Post by rcdraco »

the pictures are broke, and the links are too, I really want to try this mod. But looks like I can't.

Return to “Game Development”