More Crazy Ideas

More Crazy Ideas

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SinbadEV

More Crazy Ideas

Post by SinbadEV »

Compact Bases:

I was just thinking that, especially with spring as it is now, people tend to spread out a whole lot, I was thinking it would be cool to make it make smaller bases. I know some players already do this by using more fusion plants and metal makers and hide in a corner, but when you do this it's easy to swarm and kill the player.

If you had a command building, instead of a commander, it might be mobile at first, but would need to land before you started your base. It could only build withing a limmited radius, and a lot of it's buildings would be similar to add-ons in starcraft. Sure it's easier to swarm or nuke, but that would just make people focus more on defenses and anti-nukes. Also, it would pretty much be needed for the command building to have radar shielding right from the start so it would be harder to find peoples start locations.

I also think that making metal extractors and solar panels and weapons installations. that would move out from the main base, and then permanenly plant themselves outside where they are needed, built like vehicles instead of buildings.

Base Weaponry would have a range longer then all level 1 units, so you would have to make it to level 2 to be able to shoot bases without being wiped out by the strong local defenses the main building could build immediately. Swarming would need a lot more bodies to do any good, but it would be possible to siege a location and prevent a player from getting any new metal/energy buildings out.

I'm still just talking crazy talk here... but maybe my ideas will motivate others... or maybe I'll actually try to model and map out my idea in such a way that it's feasable.
Kickban

Post by Kickban »

You just describe the Westwood line of games :D (Command & conquer, Red alert).
A Red Alert port to Spring Engine can be nice, will have a look if units are real 3D or not.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

I think many people like a mobile and dynamic gameplay, instead of building a tiny base and sending a nuke from time to time. And it does feel good when you see your base covering half of the map, with large armies continously moving from the factories to the front, and not a single screen void of your possessions. As a famous TA player said, consider the whole map as your base, and enemy radar dots as parts you have to replace by your own dots.

Kickban, Red Alert had been ported to TA, and C&C1 has been ported to TA three times: one C&C TA, another C&C TA, and a third one.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

*blanches at the mere thought*

:wink:
Kickban

Post by Kickban »

Ok zwzsg, this time you got me :)
Never heard about those mods. Will give them a look as soon as i return home :)

Return to “Game Development”