TA:WD - Page 50

TA:WD

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

Poll of the week: Should NATO and Mospact be devided into seperate countries?

Poll ended at 14 Jul 2006, 20:26

Yes, let's have 20.000 different races and a million units!
7%
Yes, but only split the up in factions like US and Canada, UK and Germany, etc.
56%
No! the sides need to say Binary! keep as it is.
14%
No, just make seperate factories for Bombers, Fighters and Helicopters.
9%
Yes, give the player a choice what country to play in game.
14%

Total votes: 43

Argh

Re: TA:WD

Post by Argh »

Um, instead of making new ones... especially considering the scale of the game... I'd just keep 'em as 3DO for now. Just my thoughts on this.

You have far more important things to worry about... like getting everything playable and non-buggy... before it's time to worry about models. You're in the same position IW was- you have buggy models, buggy weapons, and I'm sure you have lots of unit FBIs that are a mess, full of stuff that no longers matters in Spring.

You want to first get it all running properly... then worry about new content. Clean up your FBIs and weapons. Read the documentation on the current tags. Fix any BOS errors. Then, and only then, should you worry about content.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Or just start from scratch, which cuts out the bug-hunting part quite nicely, which is what Flozi and Nemo were actually suggesting...
Argh

Post by Argh »

Starting from scratch might be a good plan, yeah.

All I know from my experience is that it took me 3-4 months to get the worst of the mess cleared out, and by the time I was done, I was pretty well burnt out on it, because it was entirely un-fun the entire time.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I don't know recently I have been going through and updating many scripts working on older units and stuff and I find myself enjoying it and the project is MUCH better for it. Of course that is assuming you live your project and you spend too much time working on it.

The reason I suggest at least getting the old one working is that you can go in and test stuff on players to see their reactions while you work on models and textures. Unless you recruit people to do art and modeling you are going to be stuck with a lot of work. Meaning your project could take years more. Why not patch up the current version while you work on the new "from scratch" version and that way you can get gameplay feedback. Despite what all of us say, you know your mod and WHERE you want the balance to go so you need to at least have a way to get guinea pigs

I don't know what happened to maestro but he was doing some spiff-tastic models and I am unsure as to where they ended up.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

OK, here is the plan:

I am gonna make my self THINK I am starting from scratch by disabling units that could distract me so I can focus on perfecting the stuff I need to be working on.

Another priority I have is to GET RID of all the cavedog crap since I want to boycot GPG and their predecesor.
smoth

Post by smoth »

striking out all the ota content might take about oh.... a few days uninterrupted.
pawelnrg

Post by pawelnrg »

is bad to hear (in other topic) than You (GrOuNd_ZeRo) are "intimidated" working on that mod... anyway everyone wait for new (working) relase of that mod. We have a hope to play that mod agin in the near future. We "cross one's fingers?" for effective work
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I'll support making this into a game from a classic mod.
thedude

Post by thedude »

Are there any updates?
This mod looks awesome and I'd like to play that one with the current spring version.
No problem if it is still buggy.

Return to “Game Development”