Project Log: Marsara (Mission Libre/Freedom)

Discuss game development here, from a distinct game project to an accessible third-party mutator, down to the interaction and design of individual units if you like.

Moderator: Moderators

SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Names not entirely decided yet.

Anyway, for want of a better spot, and out of my desire to shout it out into the world, I'll be logging (the baby steps) of game development here.

Oh, background: Game story is the same as the one SwiftSpear and I set out to make a long, long time ago :P (we never even had a running game file - but we did discuss a lot :D ).
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Re: Project Log: Marsara (Mission Libre/Freedom)

Post by SeanHeron »

So first log:

Making a mock up based on an existing Spring game frustrated me yesterday, and I've switched my thinking to start building from scratch (even for the mockup that is). That'll be a learning process (BobTheDino did all the work on putting together the game files for Engines of War - and as said, the "Libre" game project never materialised on the Spring Engine).

I've had the notion of implementing in parallel on the Pyrogenesis engine, but 0AD didn't run last I tried (I'm on windows atm :( ), and unlike Spring, I'm *totally* unfamiliar with the inner workings of games there. Not to mention it'll be at least twice the effort :P, but I'd still like to try !

See whoever's reading round, regards,
Sean
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Sorry i did not really understand..
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

No harm, I was mostly talking to myself.

Also, kinda funny hearing that from you :P.
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

Ok, I've got a bunch of other things, so won't be moving on this so fast.

I'll be settling in on the Zero-K forum for the foreseeable future, so no more "updates" here :P. (I've not checked yet, but GoogleFrog let me know Zero-K supports running mods or games out of the box, the way I understood him - so that sounds rather convenient for now).

As soon as I've posted on the Zero-K board I'll put up a link here (for my *enourmous* following here :P).

See you :) !
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Marsara...

where did i read that?

Ah :)! https://starcraft.fandom.com/wiki/Mar_Sara
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

You're right of course :).

More precisely: When the name pushed itself forward in my mind (something like 10 years ago when I came up with the background story for the game), I did do some online searching (I think I was interested in whether it had a meaning - but probably also checking where it might be used). And of course I got the same hit as you :P.

Since I did play the Starcraft single player campaign (at least a bit), I'm pretty sure that that's where I "took" it from. But then, all great works are inspired by great works that preceded them, right :P ?!

Not sure whether I'd go for something like Mars-ara (though that doesn't gel with how I'd want to pronounce it), or a slightly different spelling (Marsahra ? Marsarra ? ) just to make sure I don't get Blizzard pissed :D.

P.S. I saw your reply a couple days ago, but was stumbling when it came to giving you a proper answer. Hope this is fairly decent :).
SeanHeron
Engines Of War Developer

Post by SeanHeron »

The promised link to Zero-K forum thread: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/34750

Return to “Game Development”