We need more space maps!

We need more space maps!

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Optimus Prime

We need more space maps!

Post by Optimus Prime »

A lot of ppl ask me over and over again for more space maps.

Think about it, FF will be played 95% on space maps and we have only 3 of them which all are not bad, but compared to the top ground maps not very nice. So you could make you a name with a good FF map. At least all FF players would play it and they would play it often.
We have groundmaps like sand on the beach and most of them are played one or two times a week while some are holding the crown and are played over and over again, so isnt it better to make a map which ppl will play (even if the FF community isnt that big, it is growing slowly).

Some stats you must know about FF maps:

- they need skymaps for space (still dont get it why the devs dont want to reimport the method i did to simulate space)
- they must be bigger than other maps (30x30 is a good size for 6 players)
Ishach

Post by Ishach »

no!!!
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Ishach wrote:no!!!
+1

Edit: Can a mod delete the multiple posts? I kept getting an internal server error and hit reload a couple of times ^^
Last edited by hrmph on 25 Feb 2007, 06:30, edited 1 time in total.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I think we need more space mods first.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

what constructive posts -.-
manored

Post by manored »

In fact FF is really fun and needs more maps... I could try making one if I didnt sucked soo much at textures... :(
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

Look, there would be more maps if there was a demand. Even I've played and won in the new version of Final Frontier, but there aren't enough players to warrant more maps, and there aren't any sympathizers willing to put their time into something they don't play.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

in fact its the third most played mod in spring if you count aa and baa as one mod...

in spite of the fact that it has bad maps, the games need the most time of all mods (a normal FF game needs about 1.5 x as long as an aa game), most ppl never tried it and normal games are 3vs3 or higher...

but what i see when i read your post is that you like it more when the big mods which are already played over and over again gets the support instead of the little ones which need it more. Sorry, but if all ppl here will behave like you do, spring will have one mod in the future and that will be AA (xta is no mod).
Its VERY sad to see posts like this...
I know that there are some ppl which try to make FF down everytime they can (let it be in a seperate forum, the lobby or here) but i will stand against them at least in the lobby and ig.
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

Optimus Prime wrote:xta is no mod
Y'know what? Screw you!
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Optimus Prime wrote:in fact its the third most played mod in spring if you count aa and baa as one mod...

xta is no mod
Contradiction...

Plus obviously XTA *is* a mod.

Anyway, lets get back on topic.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

P3374H wrote:
Optimus Prime wrote:xta is no mod
Y'know what? Screw you!
ummm.. if thats all constructive from you you better search another thread to spam in.
All i wanted to say with that is that xta comes with spring so ALL have it and therefore it will be played all time...
Peet
Malcontent

Post by Peet »

It seemed very much like you were saying "oh xta comes with spring, nobody cares about it, no work goes into it" etc...so don't come whining to me about constructive comments. And unfortunately, as you can see from the graph, it is NOT played by everybody.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

even if it wouldnt be a mod that wouldnt mean that there is no efford put into it, so no, i didnt want to make it down.
But back to topi plz else the main reason for this thread wil get lost...
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

I play every single modern mod. Bar none. Most of my effort goes into promoting Expand & Exterminate and Gundam RTS, though I support BOTA and Kernel Panic a lot as well.

I'd usually stop here, but this is a particular case. You do not know me, you do not know where I stand, and you are making an unreasonable attack on my character.

You cannot just request a map and expect it to be created. You have alienated or tapped out a number of the mappers, and a map for Final Frontier is not a rewarding creation due to the lack of play it will get.

You have a screenshot showing that Final Frontier on one day was the mod hosted by the fourth most players, not necessarily played. The player base of Final Frontier is, however, less than three dozen people in number.
The mod itself is in a difficult state. There are two other Final Frontier remakes in development due to your unwillingness to incorporate the feedback of a wide array of modders and players. You can expect your player base to fracture whenever one is released.

The map you are requesting will be functionally useless for most other mods, won't get any play, and will require the incorporation of elements that some mappers aren't ready to deal with. On top of this you haven't offered any basis for it... toss out a concept, somebody might take it up.

Just put out a concept. I've little hope for you listening to constructive critique on the mod itself, but put out a concept for the map before requesting it. Bust out MS Paint if you need to.
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

i know what you write sometimes here and in other forums and thats where i have my oppinion about you. Sure it is not the oppinion what i would get when i would meet you in real life and that is for all of us
(i dont say that my oppinion is bad or good - so dont feel attacked).
But exactly thats why i became very inactive in this forum and will stay because there are too many who act just rude because they can tell things not directly in the face of each other and we dont have any mods who give warnings to players no matter how long they are in the forum like it should be.
I sure dont say that i m the perfect guy, but what i can say from me is that i never became as rude to others as some are. And i dont try to make other mods down.

You are completely right when you say that the maps would only be played in FF but what i can see is that A TON of maps are created every month and in the lobby only 10 maps are played so all these maps are wasted and HERE comes the chance to a mapper who has a guarantee that if the map is made not very bad, it WILL be played. Not by hundreds, but by a small safe number of players and i think thats not that bad.
I dont want to make any map concepts because that shall be up to the mappers.
If the mapper dont played FF he sure can ask me about a good concept.

I dont want to reply some of your points here because it would end in an endless discussion as you know from the past. So lets speak about FF maps and nothing else here - feel free to make another thread if you like to discuss other stuff ;)
genblood

Post by genblood »

Optimus Prime,

If you need a few maps made for FF PM me with the size and
what you would like to see in them. I'll make a few for your mod.
Argh

Post by Argh »

My question is simple, Optimus... why not learn to make a map yourself? It's really easy, and a SM3 version of a space map should run fairly lag-free, because you could repeat a lot of small textures.
manored

Post by manored »

neddiedrow wrote:Look, there would be more maps if there was a demand. Even I've played and won in the new version of Final Frontier, but there aren't enough players to warrant more maps, and there aren't any sympathizers willing to put their time into something they don't play.
I agree. And if FF is a good mod (I think yes), its comunity will grow even with map shortage, causing a increase on map demand and consequently more maps will be done.

Interesting how the spring mods are in some sort of "survival of the fittest" competition... :P
Optimus Prime

Post by Optimus Prime »

Argh wrote:My question is simple, Optimus... why not learn to make a map yourself? It's really easy, and a SM3 version of a space map should run fairly lag-free, because you could repeat a lot of small textures.
the answer is easy too :D
atm i cant do anything than chat and write some phrases with my crap pc. I didnt played spring for 3 weeks now but a new pc is on the way in 2 more weeks.
Also i really dont have the time to make 2 mods (war evo and FF) and i also plan to make a mod for sup com in the far future.
A mapper would really be helpfull, but if really no one would try to help me here i would do one myself. But whats wrong with it to ask in a forum for spring if there is someone willing to make a map?

@Genblob: thank you very much! A PM is on the way...
smoth

Post by smoth »

Optimus Prime wrote:in fact its the third most played mod in spring if you count aa and baa as one mod...xta is no mod
Optimus Prime wrote:I know that there are some ppl which try to make FF down everytime they can (let it be in a seperate forum, the lobby or here) but i will stand against them at least in the lobby and ig.
Try nothing, it has a short surge of popularity no thanks to what you DID to it. FF was a great mod. Don't get cocky and think you had anything to do with that mod's popularity or that it's temporary popularity is a sign that it is "the third most popular" funny, you pop back on the forum and there are games in the lobby... coincidence... I think not.

Funny that even with the mess up that is your version of FF the mod still has popularity. Heck, I LIKE FF but I HATE your version of it. As far as what people say on "other" forums.. no, we say the same to you any chance we get. Comm rush is not a valid strategy and the fact that you had to create an anti-comm turret offends me. That is ONE such example. If I cared enough to bother I would..

how dare you discount XTA. At least they have a concept of balance.

Return to “Map Creation”