Tutorial NEEDED for map making

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

[BSOD][KoBS]Demon

Post by [BSOD][KoBS]Demon »

I believe it is time that a map making tutorial is made for people with no experience with making maps. No offence forbodding angel but you tutorial is just a bit to complicated and when i try to make a map when following your guidelines i find that i dont noe wat buttons to push etc. So if anybody could take the time to help the community or me out with a "Noobs guide to making maps" kind of thing i believe it wud be exceptionally appreciated by most.
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

did You try IceXuick's tutorial ?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Look dude, if you can't follow my tutorial there is no hope for you honestly.

I lay the entire process on a silver platter, what more do you want? Me to do it for you?

FFS I tell in that tutorial EXACTLY what buttons to push. Good lord.

People posting things like this when I'm having a really bad day... Not good.
Erom

Post by Erom »

The usual exception made for people for whom English is not a first language, if you can't follow FA's tut, giving up might be order.

Took me maybe an hour to get my first test map compiled following his instructions, and I had 0 experience with this engine.
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

Erom wrote:English is not a first language
maybe yes, maybe not, or maybe there was a combination of not enaugh experience in using computer it self and that or something else. Personally I started from IceXuick's tutorial just because it was smaller and contained fewer amount of things to do (ie no info about making a map in l3dt except mentioning about it) or rather that it was the first one i found here, and than switched to Forboding Angel's as a upgrade :wink:.

The rersults can be seen here http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=5860

I sometimes have to fix my friends computers. Most of them bought their first computer after 1998 and had never heared about command line interface. Sometimes i was unable to fix them without cli (now i dont have to use it from obvious reasons). Maybe hes the same kind :wink:
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

okay... http://taspring.clan-sy.com/wiki/Create_maps

The only problem with forboding's tutorial is that it goes into so much detail that people get bored and miss the point that MAKING MAPS IS FREAKING EASY!!!

Start with http://fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=1234
Replace it's mapconv with the one in http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=1507

create an image that is a multiple of 1024 in width and height as your texture, create grayscale heightmap (1/8 )+1 the size of your texture and make a metal map the same size where the red channel defines the metal density... and follow the instructions built into the freaking program to compile it... then extract a current map (install http://www.7zip.com ) by right clicking on it chose 7-zip open archive to find out the structure of maps... and borrow a smd from another map till you learn how to make them yourself (they are plain text files)... if you still don't understand ACCTUALLY READ THE DOCS AND THEN ask SPECIFIC about what you have failed to understand...

I honestly should make a newbie's map tutorial...

EDIT: Acctually HERE >> http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=3659 << I posted a package with everything you need to make a very simple map... so you can start with this as your base.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Sinbad. If a newbie follows my tutorial they have a chance at their first map not sucking.

Plus, I provide illustrations etc, which besides agorm's is the only one.

Meh whatever. THis guy just wants someone to basically do it for him. If he's like that then I don't want him mapping. It denotes that most likely all of his maps will suck and have 0 thought put into them. I personally don't hgave time to help people that don't want to learn.

If you do, then more power to ya.
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Forboding Angel wrote:Look dude, if you can't follow my tutorial there is no hope for you honestly.

I lay the entire process on a silver platter, what more do you want? Me to do it for you?

I'd have to agree with this for cookie cutter maps, but if you try to do complicated stuff or solve problems using that tutorial your face will explode.

IMO the best way is to start with forboding's tutorial and then ask specific questions when you get stuck. Forbodings tutorial is a VERY good starting point, I don't think you can get too much clearer then that. Maby an advanced walkthrough would be nice, but a walkthrough and a tutorial are very different things.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

MKay... lets do it.. for the Babys.. we need (Finnished Files, correct size - you need nothing more than download - and put it into mapconv directory.

And then.... Open the Image with all Colours and paint...

Compile, sd7 it and look what happened.

Now the self thing with the strange black &White Picture... paint

Now for the Map in Red, with the funny Dots... paint in the same colour

:( :( :x :?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

SwiftSpear wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:Look dude, if you can't follow my tutorial there is no hope for you honestly.

...Forbodings tutorial is a VERY good starting point...
This is nail right on the head. My tutorial is only for getting people started. Not advanced mapping techniques
zorbawic

Post by zorbawic »

Anybody got a clue when is the new map format gointg to be ready ?

(the sooner its released - the less sence has making a new tutorial to current map format)
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

The current mapformat will still be the there, the new one will be applied on top IIRC
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Comp1337 wrote:The current mapformat will still be the there, the new one will be applied on top IIRC
In parallel... but like s3o, people will be encouraged to use/learn the new system.
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Dude, repeat the steps in Forboding Angel's excellent tutorial, work hard, and ace that shit.
And we're not expecting you to make top grade maps from the start so don't feel embarassed posting your maps, I guarantee you the feedback you will get here will help you improve until you're the most wicked mapper out there. Good luck!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

be forewarned that if you post a map that is rendered 1/8th scale heightmap as opposed to the 1/1 that I outline in my tutorial, you will get a free ass-chewing, courtesy of me.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

*cough* genblood
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

The only problem I have with what I bothered to read of FA's tutorial is that it's acctually a tutorial for a terragen or ld3d or whatever... while most people looking to map are expecting to be able to make maps like in OTA, building a map out of a texture and a heightmap and plugging down features where they want them, your instruction confuses the H-E-double-hockey-sicks out of people... why a 7 part 20 page tutorial for "how do I take this pretty picture I've made and make it a map" is a lot to wade through.
Erom

Post by Erom »

FA's tut is pretty easy to strip the ld3d out of- my maps are pure Gimp, and that's what I used.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

SinbadEV wrote:The only problem I have with what I bothered to read of FA's tutorial is that it's acctually a tutorial for a terragen or ld3d or whatever... while most people looking to map are expecting to be able to make maps like in OTA, building a map out of a texture and a heightmap and plugging down features where they want them, your instruction confuses the H-E-double-hockey-sicks out of people... why a 7 part 20 page tutorial for "how do I take this pretty picture I've made and make it a map" is a lot to wade through.
There are Tutorials how to do it the dirty way (Even MS PAIN)...
And you can (like i have done) post questions in this Forum - as long as you can life with FA screaming in BerserkRage and Bruce barking...

I Want a specific Question that this guy has, something to work with that he doesen`t understand. Standing there beeing his Cry-Out-Shoulder-Boulder is wasted time.

Post Scriptum: Why not make a Set-Ready-To-Compile, were people can learn by simply changing the existing things and watch the Results. It`s minimizing Frustrations - and even the biggest Possible NOOB can do it - and step back to the original, if he messes it up.

Game Over.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

PicassoCT wrote:...FA screaming in BerserkRage...

Game Over.
When I yell at people there is a good reason. I don't like people that try to half ass things and are pleased with doing things half assed.

Look picasso. L3dt is free. WOuld you prefer that I change it so that I use Bryce 5.5 for an example???

L3dt is the only good free large (and I do mean large) terrain generator out there.

It's QUITE easy to transpose my tutorial to working in photoshop/gimp. It doesn't take a genius.

Return to “Map Creation”