Texture suddenly stoped working on new map

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

ludvigw

Post by ludvigw »

Hi

I'm working on a map and all of a sudden, the texture didn't work any more. It whould look something like this:
http://ludw.be/~ludw/bilder/ger_vs_nk.jpg

But when i make a map out it, the texture goes away and what i get is this:
http://ludw.be/~ludw/screen0.jpg

Why does this happen? I have tried with several different smd's, so I don't think they are the problem. I have also tried with an older version of the texture file but that didn't help either.

So what does you people think? Is there some kind of easy solution to this?
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

Check the ratio's.

And on another note the default ground should be higher to stop puddling in craters and that texture is ugly.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

You have renamed your .smf and .smt files after you compiled the map, "thats bad" and as a consequence you get the default cat puke "punishment" texture. :lol:
Last edited by mufdvr222 on 07 Jun 2006, 12:43, edited 3 times in total.
ludvigw

Post by ludvigw »

The ratios of what?
I'm kind of new to this...

mufdvr222: Thanks! Hopefully that should fix the problem..
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

ludvigw wrote:The ratios of what?
I'm kind of new to this...

mufdvr222: Thanks! Hopefully that should fix the problem..
Okay then read Forboding Angel's excellent tutorial: http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3941
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

You have to commit to a map name before you compile it, and specify it in your MS-DOS Batch File, then go ahead and compile.

mapconv.exe -l -i -c 0.2 -x 455 -n 20 -o "MapNameHere.smf" -m metal.bmp -a height.bmp -t terrain.jpg
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

actually you can rename the smf file to whatever yoiu want, you have to rename the smd to the same name as well, however NEVER rename the smt.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

But if you don`t rename the smt the map won`t work, so you still need to commit to a name before you compile to get a working map, I fail to see any work around to this. 8)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

mufdvr222 wrote:But if you don`t rename the smt the map won`t work, so you still need to commit to a name before you compile to get a working map, I fail to see any work around to this. 8)
if you compile a map with the name of crap you have

crap.smd
crap.smf
crap.smt

you can then rename the smf and smd to whatever you want, like so:

goober.smd
goober.smf
crap.smt

the map will show up as goober in the local map list.

How else do you think I fix so many maps on FU? I simply give the maps a higher version number so that sync errors are avoided.

Also, if you doubt me, download Canyon trio and lok at the map names.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

You can acctually have more then one smt file if you use the right switch in the compile command line.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

And if you can us C++ you can completely get the Noobs away from the Topic....

I love this stuff...
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

If you load up this
goober.smd
goober.smf
crap.smt
you will get a cat puke pink texure is my point mate,,, try it out.

Not going to start an argument with you FA we are not on the same wavelength.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

for once, just once will people accept that I am just right because I have done this a ZILLON times, and do it every time I make an smd change to someone elses map.

Please FFS just believe me that it works.

THis is the current version of canyon trio on FU.

Now please, just accept that I am right about this. I am tired of arguing about things on this forum that is or should be common knowledge IMO.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

I cannot fucking believe you Forboding,, the nerve. Don`t ever address me in that tone again.
I am one of about 2 (two) people who went in to bat for your maps when you first showed up here, now that you have been recognised for your tallent you chose to shit on people.
There is an old Russian saying, You should not shit where you eat.
I am prepared to be corrected, its a shame you cannot include patience in you suite of life skills.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

mufdvr222 wrote:I cannot fucking believe you Forboding,, the nerve. Don`t ever address me in that tone again.
I am one of about 2 (two) people who went in to bat for your maps when you first showed up here, now that you have been recognised for your tallent you chose to shit on people.
There is an old Russian saying, You should not shit where you eat.
I am prepared to be corrected, its a shame you cannot include patience in you suite of life skills.
I understand and agree, my tone was quite rude and I apologize. You know as well as I do, the kind of crap that gets flung at me all the time, at some point I go on the offensive, cause I get tired of people telling me wrong when I know for a fact that I'm right (I have no problem with admitting I'm wrong, if in fact I am).

You and weaver have always been real good to me and I appreciate that (more than you know I imagine).

Actually IRL, I am so patient that it is truly disgusting. I'm sorry, I've had a truly horrible day. 95 degree warehouse, then coming home to a room that is 90+ degrees because the central air got turned off for no reason.

BTW I don't choose to shit on people, people on these forums tend to crap all over me, more often than not with no real reason behind it.

Also I do believe that it should be common knowledge by now. I have mentioned it quite a few times in various thread, I apologize if I forgot to put it in my tutorial, big oversight.

All in all, I'm sorry, I did not intend to offend you (course, how could a post like that be taken otherwise... SHoulda read what I wrote twice) and I could have been much more tactful. I was feeling a little persecuted at that particular moment.

:oops: :cry: :oops:
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

mufdvr222 wrote:If you load up this
goober.smd
goober.smf
crap.smt
you will get a cat puke pink texure is my point mate,,, try it out.

Not going to start an argument with you FA we are not on the same wavelength.
Ok it finally worked Thanks FA.

To explain my reluctance to agree with you, Late last night I grabbed one of my own map files and re named the smd and smf leaving the smt as is in persuance of your instructions, when I loaded the map the texture was puke pink,, having failed to re produce what you where telling me I questioned your advice.
This afternoon I ran the map again and it worked perfectly, confirming you advice in ideed correct, I cannot explain why the map would not work last night,,, who knows.

And that makes two people who have had a crap day. :wink:
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Actually NOiZE is a really cool guy, I believe that I get along with him quite well. I'm assuming he was having a crappy day. No love lost.

BTW your original chastizing post reminded me, that you compiled my first map for me, and held my had as I learned my way through it. I havn't forgotten.

I should go re-texture that to avoid embarrassment lol. I kinda keep it around as a reminder of how much I sucked when I started out ;p

As I said, I'm sorry, I should have never gone off like that :-(
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

This is worse than a flame war. *pukes*

:P
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

lol :lol:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I remember when I did this with ground zero once... except I PMed him :P