Amphib-oriented maps?

Amphib-oriented maps?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Pxtl

Amphib-oriented maps?

Post by Pxtl »

I was just noticing that I never, ever use amphibs. And it occurred to me why: there are damn few maps that allow them. Even if a map has a system of islands, rivers, and lakes, they're usually one of the following:

:arrow: Too steep for amphib vehicles
:arrow: Shallow enough that normal kbots can cross them
:arrow: Big enough that navies flow through them, making any amphib force sub-bait.

Anybody else have similar frustrations? Anybody working on a map where there's actually a sensible reason to use the Croc?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Re: Amphib-oriented maps?

Post by Forboding Angel »

Pxtl wrote:I was just noticing that I never, ever use amphibs. And it occurred to me why: there are damn few maps that allow them. Even if a map has a system of islands, rivers, and lakes, they're usually one of the following:

:arrow: Too steep for amphib vehicles
:arrow: Shallow enough that normal kbots can cross them
:arrow: Big enough that navies flow through them, making any amphib force sub-bait.

Anybody else have similar frustrations? Anybody working on a map where there's actually a sensible reason to use the Croc?
Maybe if caydr would fix them they would be useful. The need higher slope tolerance, they need to be buffed as well. The also need an overal speed increase
Hellspawn

Post by Hellspawn »

Its fun to use them on cold place. However even on that map air/sea is more useful.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

I'd agree. And Hover would probably work well on the same maps.
Machiosabre

Post by Machiosabre »

hover would ge great on alot of maps if it wasn't so awfull.
Zenka

Post by Zenka »

I only see hovers used on the cold place or flooded desert.
but no amph units at all.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Machiosabre wrote:hover would ge great on alot of maps if it wasn't so awfull.
Hover seems to be better than amphibious units most of the time, but is pretty useless if you can have a real land army or a real navy.

As I've said before, one thing I'd really like to see used more often is terrain types/movement speed mods. Have some 'swampy' ground terrain that slows down vehicles and kbots but doesn't affect Hover, for example.
mongus

Post by mongus »

- Mountain Lake+ (start boxes required, borked defaults...must walk :p )
- The Cold Place (remake recommended)
- Omega
- Island Alpha+

-Omniside
-Water ways

In all of them you can use amphib units/hovers/water units as a powerfull strategy.

Xta crocs/tritons, are like all terrain mid level tanks.
Not as expensive/powerfull as a bulldog, but fast, and capable of climbing almost every hill, just a bit short of a kbot in that.

That makes this tanks the first choice for a fast assault, or for taking over rough terrain, not ot mention they are amphibious.

Worth to build them in many situations.
Pxtl

What?

Post by Pxtl »

Crocs are all terrain? Like, kbot all-terrain or spider all-terrain? Does that apply to the Core Poison Arrow as well?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

UMM divided shores ring a bell?

THat map just screams for amphibs
mongus

Re: What?

Post by mongus »

Pxtl wrote:Crocs are all terrain? Like, kbot all-terrain or spider all-terrain? Does that apply to the Core Poison Arrow as well?
mongus wrote:and capable of climbing almost every hill, just a bit short of a kbot in that.
No poison arrows in xta.

Yep divided shores has specific platforms for amphibious assault rigth?

never played that map much sorry.
Last edited by mongus on 08 May 2006, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.
mongus

Re: What?

Post by mongus »

duped post :o
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

You're... joking right? O_o

Amphis are hugely useful....
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

I want a real Venic map, with ton's of little rivers that splits the map into millions of deep, but small, rivers, makeing a navy unweildy and aphibs and hovers just what you need.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Have to point this out... But ANY map were you can get to the enamys base Via water is a good map for anphibs... Your just looking att hem in the wrong light. If you sent an armarded and a land army att he same time on a map, the enamy would be like, right, Im ust do this to defend. If suddenly a whole bunch of anphibs rise out of the water, WHAMM, you got one up on them. They make great surprise support, and can hold a beach against quite tough opponents..

Basicly... there all about surprising the hell out of someone with an army thats bigger than they thought...

Plus lots of players (me included) forget to defend the back of there base properly against land attacks... so you can walts in behind there defenses...

Anyway... enough of me... :)

aGorm
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

Make sure to hit the enemy with the navy, THEN go in with the anphibs!

See the enemy would be aiming at big troop transports, and when they find that you don't have troop transports, they would be like "Well i guess this is just some bombardment".

Then the anphibs hit em'!
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

aGorm wrote:Have to point this out... But ANY map were you can get to the enamys base Via water is a good map for anphibs... Your just looking att hem in the wrong light. If you sent an armarded and a land army att he same time on a map, the enamy would be like, right, Im ust do this to defend. If suddenly a whole bunch of anphibs rise out of the water, WHAMM, you got one up on them. They make great surprise support, and can hold a beach against quite tough opponents..

Basicly... there all about surprising the hell out of someone with an army thats bigger than they thought...

Plus lots of players (me included) forget to defend the back of there base properly against land attacks... so you can walts in behind there defenses...

Anyway... enough of me... :)

aGorm
Yes, but that's not my point - my point is that most maps that you could use amphibs on are crippled by having shores too steep for them, or so much naval action that the amphibs get chewed up by normal anti-sub defenses.
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Pxtl wrote:Yes, but that's not my point - my point is that most maps that you could use amphibs on are crippled by having shores too steep for them, or so much naval action that the amphibs get chewed up by normal anti-sub defenses.
Or have crossings that are so shallow that any land unit can roll over them.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

Arrow Shallow enough that normal kbots can cross them
Arrow Big enough that navies flow through them, making any amphib force sub-bait.
yeah saying stuff ppl have already said (IN THE ORIGINAL POST) _really_ helps get this moving.
amphibs are good on some maps, there are few. if you don't like it go make a map with middle depth crossings or special movement types. or alter the mod you want to make amphibs capable of climbing.
not everyone thinks amphib combat is interesting or fun. ships / air drops are way better IMO
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

It really, really is map dependent methinks. I think what could possibly solve some of these amphi problems is having a good amphibious torpedo launcher tank (there were some in OTA that could be used) to defend amphibious armies against attakcign subs (they were basuicalyl amph tanks with torpedo launchers. Pretty useless on land though).

Return to “Map Creation”