Units in SpeedMetal maps - how to make them different per mod?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

There are some cheap fusions in speedmetal and speedball. I wish to make them BAR units when launched with BAR? Is it possible to use a different .s3o when a different game launches the map?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Units in SpeedMetal maps - how to make them different per mod?

Post by FLOZi »

Not overly familiar with any of the above but most probably yes, even if you have to hard code it in unitdefs_post to replace one with the other.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

If you know the unitname, then I suppose it's easy to replace those at spawn with a gadget.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Could modify defs.lua to ignore any units that don't come from the zip?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Replacing the unit post spawn seems iffy, as I also want the unit's build icon to be BAR specific. And the ghosted building while placing it should also be the one included modside.

I dont really want to ignore it in defs, as I want BAR to also have the free fusion there, as it is key to the gameplay there.
Also, there are multiple types of free fusions on speedmetal maps.

All in all the easiest solution might actually be just to include the unit separately. Luckily, the unit intended for this ('Mission command tower') is not atlassed by my, but an original Cremuss one.

Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Use _posts to detect that a map has included a new unit and replace its table with your own free fusion. Or just re-release the appropriate maps.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

My point is that you would only ignore the maps version of units, in defs.lua, meaning that the mods version would take precendence and be loaded. The unit icons are set by a gadget, based on unit properties, so it wouldn't be hacky to modify it to handle this case too.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Oh i definitely intend to re-release the maps, as I can now do them proper justice when updating them :)
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

It would still be better to somehow integrate the procedure in the mod, otherwise there will be lots of maps with a similar name for no reason.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Jools wrote:It would still be better to somehow integrate the procedure in the mod, otherwise there will be lots of maps with a similar name for no reason.
I have very little knowledge of map-mutators, but it seems that a lot of functionality is hardcoded for *A games. For example, the free fusion inserts itself into the buildqueues of units with TA unitnames.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Beherith wrote:
Jools wrote:It would still be better to somehow integrate the procedure in the mod, otherwise there will be lots of maps with a similar name for no reason.
I have very little knowledge of map-mutators, but it seems that a lot of functionality is hardcoded for *A games. For example, the free fusion inserts itself into the buildqueues of units with TA unitnames.
I did a map in which I included units, it's a hacky solution to begin with and creates dependencies that should not be there. Maybe this is philosophical, but for me, map is a piece of land, and therefore should not depend on a game. It's just as logical as having a firestation depend on a bridge (what?). Just saying.

Nevertheless, there are some maps that provide free fusions and that has a good purpose wrt that map. The fusion is a substitute for a limitation in wind/tidal etc, and the mapmaker wants to provide cheap energy.

The problem is that units behave differently in different games, because they depend on a lot of other things than just the unidefs and the s3o. So the map tries to include its own set of stuff, but it never really works well across different games (because it's not suppsesed to). For instance, I included flak-cannons and the noruas/enterprise ship, and they had totally different balance in xta and ba, even though both units were supplied by the map. So it's a hack and that's why you've never done that, because good maps don't include units :)

Return to “Map Creation”