Why did we loose the ability to have several maps in one archive?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

I know it was part of a unitsync update but why? the ability to reuse a tileset as a different map could be cool.
AF
AI Developer

Re: Why did we loose the ability to have several maps in one archive?

Post by AF »

It got broken in a Spring update many years ago, and everybody blamed Betalord and tasclient for breaking it ( despite it being an innocent mistake in the engine having nothing to do with tasclient ). When he got a lot of flack, the engine devs got peeved over what was happening and it graduated from a bug to official policy. A little while later we mostly forgot about it and got on with stuff
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Actually Tobi replied to my ragefest about it years ago telling me some good reasons (his description of the reasons, not mine), of why it was better this way. That basically ended the discussion.

It really fucked me over because I had tons of maps that shared the same smt.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah, well I want to bring the question back up because it seems like maybe it could be possible now. SO I say, revisit the question. Maybe it needs to be a spring bounty? Because one of the biggest things I have to hear bitching from players about is file size and this + map options would allow us to have some serious flexibility with our maps.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

isn't it possible to create a mutator of a map? this should allow to reuse an existing .smt...

i guess it got removed because it would make several things a lot more complicated.
smoth

Post by smoth »

problem is that mutators have requirements....

So like "WOO HOO 128 kb..." downloading dependencies... "why is it taking so long?"

Can we not just put several of the mutators etc into an archive with the map?

Return to “Map Creation”