Full-Time Mapper Needed

Full-Time Mapper Needed

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Full-Time Mapper Needed

Post by SpikedHelmet »

AATA needs a mapper.

Mapping for AATA will not be like mapping for any other mod. It will involve realism, creativity and skill. Roads, villages, towns, cities, forests, farmlands, features of all sorts, everything from wrecked trains to urban buildings, farmhouses, bunkers, airports -- all modelled by us. All that is needed is a good mapper to bring this shit to life.
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

Me got bored

(can't make spring maps though)

EDIT: Ah. Wings died on me before I saved it... that model has ceased to be I'm afraid
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I'm afraid to say that I'm interested...

Need more in depth details first.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

I wont lie and say i have the time to spare cause... lets face it I dont (when did I last actully release a map?? Ages ago...) but, just wanted to say, keep in mind that there asking alot, so make sure you have the time and drive to do it!!

(Also...
Mapping for AATA will not be like mapping for any other mod. It will involve realism, creativity and skill.
surly all mappers have that?? :P )

aGorm
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

Most mappers have it... whether they've shown it is another matter entirely :roll:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

What are you suggesting? Surly not that some mappers cant map? Or are you saying that some mappers havnt done anything to prove they can??

aGorm
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I want to kick whoever made "atlantic" in the nuts. That map is complete and utter crap, and good god are those textures (if you can call them that) butt ass fugly.

*shivers*

Actually I disagree dragon,

many mappers here try to do the old tired rush for the middle thing, not to mention maps that don't incorporate a world, but say a platform that for whatever reason is symmetrically shaped?

I prefer to force expansion in general, rather than force a rush for the middle.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Guessmyname wrote:Me got bored

(can't make spring maps though)

EDIT: Ah. Wings died on me before I saved it... that model has ceased to be I'm afraid
Nice. Although really it's the mappers we need, we are both competant modellers.
raikitsune

Post by raikitsune »

question. will the features (as in houses and such) be gaia or will they be static? (because i've just had a funny thought. if they're gaia it should be possible to capture them right? heh thus you can claim the town!)
Guessmyname

Post by Guessmyname »

If you do cap buildings, you should get some "command points" (metal) from it, to encourage players to secure rather than destroy. Infantry should be able to capture them (come to think of it, they should also be able to capture logistic depots etc too, you know, stealing enemy fuel etc) Heck, we could even let infantry inside them if we really wanted, though it wouldn't work too well:

EXAMPLE

A German MG 42 is in a house overlooking an important road. Realistically, this house could be stormed by american infantry and used by them in much the same way (to guard the road).

This cannot be done in Spring as the MG team will be impossible to hit as all shots will hit the house's collision sphere instead of the MG teams' sphere. The americans would have to destroy the house to destroy the MG team, and a destroyed house obviously cannot be garrisoned.

EDIT: Spiked, are you planning both a Spring and TA version of AATA?
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Isn't it how it works in the war? Destroy a whole building because there's a couple enemy soldier in it?
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Wasnt that also how it worked in one of the CnC games? I never actually played the game, but I have seen it played.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

I've been looking into doing some maps for AA, WD, CW and similar mods, and I have a few questions.

Scale, what can I use to get this right? Is there a unit that is approximately car sized? Is the scale about the same across these mods?

Balance, designing the map for TA style play requires different things to campaign and mission style play. I am imagining that we could have maps with limited or no resources but do give the player more units or resources to start art with. This would allow us to have games where the objective is not just destroy all enemies, but might be; hold a position like a bridge or town or prevent destruction or capture of a feature in a certain time.

Work involved, how many features; buildings, walls, hedges etc is reasonable? Even a small village can have 20 or 30 houses.

I am planning on using real locations as a basis, with some artistic license and tweaking for our map format.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

At one point all three were to the same scale, atleast infantry wise. WD has been scaled since - though I imagine vehicles were scaled up rather than infantry being changed. Spiked recently scaled AATA to half of this... but there are some issues with it so I'm not sure it will stay like that.

That stuff would be very cool with a custom LUA script.

As many as you see fit, i'm sure we can provide you with pretty much whatever you ask for.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

in generals u could use flame tanks/toxin tractors (w00t)/napalm planes/flashbangs to kill garrisoned infantry. although in CnC RA2 u had to kill buildings to get at troops
SpikedHelmet

Post by SpikedHelmet »

What I was saying was, making a map for AATA wouldn't be like tossing some graphics together, putting metal here and there and whatever. It would involve the creation of roadways, farmhouses, villages and towns, farmlands, riverways, bridges, battlegrounds, etc etc etc. When I made AATA maps in OTA I'd often look at an aerial photograph of some European town and base it off of that.

Also, many of them will have to be big. And features will be used, a lot. From fences to buildings to city blocks.

Lastly, I'd like to use bridges. Are bridges possible yet?

Anyway, anyone interested? We need maps, NOW!
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

This an ingame shot at a very early stage in my current project.
Once the scale is correct I'll find out if it will fit under 28x28 without trimming. I will probably do the central area as a smaller map first 'though.
Doomweaver

Re: Full-Time Mapper Needed

Post by Doomweaver »

SpikedHelmet wrote:AATA needs a mapper.

Mapping for AATA will not be like mapping for any other mod. It will involve realism, creativity and skill. Roads, villages, towns, cities, forests, farmlands, features of all sorts, everything from wrecked trains to urban buildings, farmhouses, bunkers, airports -- all modelled by us. All that is needed is a good mapper to bring this shit to life.
Will these maps be compatible with other mods, like AA? Because I think the maps for Spring currently are very average. Even the best aren't brilliant, and don't even get me started on the worst.
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Not finished yet, but getting there with the whole texture, quality, filesize game.

This map represets the bottom left square of the shaded OS map above at a scale of about texture map 8 pixels per metre.

Todo:
2 dirt textures - including the sandy one you can see in the SS.
Models, buildings, hedges, more trees - Imake some basic models as placeholders and replace them if anyone offers better ones.

Google earth placemark, just paste it into "places".

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<kml xmlns="http://earth.google.com/kml/2.0">
<Placemark>
<name>Green Fields</name>
<LookAt>
<longitude>-2.741738845151093</longitude>
<latitude>54.00300750601751</latitude>
<range>930.5808977974737</range>
<tilt>-8.783405732059827e-006</tilt>
<heading>0.02976074064087338</heading>
</LookAt>
<styleUrl>root://styleMaps#default+nicon=0x307+hicon=0x317</styleUrl>
<Point>
<coordinates>-2.742378326352452,54.00262228786826,0</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
</kml>
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

I have uploaded a pre alpha version of this map to FU.
http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=2184
Please post comments, I know there is no metal or features yet.

Having no metal seems crash most AIs, I'll go and tell them.

Return to “Map Creation”