Maps/Ideas for Menu Backgroud - Page 2

Maps/Ideas for Menu Backgroud

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Floris

Re: Blank and/or Quick loading Map

Post by Floris »

With a nice camera angle, the Depth of Field shader could spice things up. (with some optimisation)
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

how about not needing a map at all.
its super low hanging fruit as far as code goes.

ie, if no map, generate a nothing map.

its tecnically easy as pie. and solves the easy case, could be generalised to further to reduce dependance on smf/smt altogether. and specify all resources for maps in lua.

I could get a pull request for the easy case in a night if you can get dev support I will do it if its wanted. I'm working on something else right now or i would do it for the shits and giggles*

*Australian slang, alternatives would be "for the hell of it", " do it just because", " for the lols" etc.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

enetheru wrote:I could get a pull request for the easy case in a night if you can get dev support I will do it if its wanted.
I guess it all depends on how much load time that would actually save. I'm just now testing the blank maps (any minute) so I'm not sure how fast it is yet.
enetheru wrote:for the shits and giggles*
Funny, here in North Dakota (US) we say "for shits and giggles" - the
gajop wrote:I think enetheru/Silentwings' blank maps are ideal for this.
At least I don't want a (visible) map as a default.
I think I'll also stick with those ( or the above) but this thread is still useful for other ideas, non-default ones.

I updated OP with everything mentioned so far
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Funkencool wrote:
enetheru wrote:I could get a pull request for the easy case in a night if you can get dev support I will do it if its wanted.
I guess it all depends on how much load time that would actually save. I'm just now testing the blank maps (any minute) so I'm not sure how fast it is yet.
load time savings would be negligible.
what I originally meant that was if spring cant find certain elements of a map it just fills the array's with zeroes and moves on. making it so spring doesnt crash oif there is no map found, or if it cant load a map properly.

could achieve the same thing by keeping an empty map in the base files and loading it if no map is found I guess.

But thinking about it for normal end users, if map load failed, you would want to stop loading the current map and load the empty map again. Only for edbug purposes would you want to load broken maps to see whats missing.

anyway just musing.
Funkencool

Re: Blank and/or Quick loading Maps

Post by Funkencool »

could achieve the same thing by keeping an empty map in the base files and loading it if no map is found I guess
Seems that would be easy enough that code change wouldn't really be necessary.

On a similar note:
It seems the blank maps and most small maps load in about the same amount of time (a few seconds), at least for me.
Funkencool

Re: Blank and/or Quick loading Maps

Post by Funkencool »

I wonder how much detailed skyboxes would effect load time?
A void map with a nice skybox and some subtle camera movement would look really nice.

This seems like something I've seen on here before, maybe I'll have a look around and see if I can find one
Silentwings

Re: Maps/Ideas for Menu Backgroud

Post by Silentwings »

Skyboxes: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=11009

But I'm not sure how good it will look, maybe without the map there the corners/joins in the skybox would show.
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Apophis looks pretty good, plus it even has background music and shooting stars built in. For me at least the load time really isn't to bad, or is at least worth the wait.
Last edited by Funkencool on 07 Mar 2015, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

Each game should have its own client, but you could make a general client for people who like to play multiple Spring games like a lot of the people on this forum.

Attachments
Example.png
(1.01 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Funkencool

Post by Funkencool »

Jazcash wrote:Each game should have its own client, but you could make a general client for people who like to play multiple Spring games like a lot of the people on this forum.
Most definitely but if the client is in-game; people need a way of getting into that. That leads to the biggest question of:
How will the engine know the user wants to play only BAR?
Well it can't really, without that engine being dedicated to only BAR (or by running a custom script/shortcut). Which is up to the developer. Either way the engine needs to be manipulated to do this, and it can't be default behavior.

So what I'd like is some way for a non-dedicated spring to still be able to access these menus, and or launch into these menus, easily.

If a game dev wanted to they could easily bypass this to go straight into their menu. They would just need to configure spring correctly.

So my proposal would be for spring to scan game archives and grab these menus, while also providing a simple way to access them.

Simply put, a non-configured spring could look something like this.
The menu bar on top could even be minimized, or a 'back' button placed somewhere. You could even make it so when the user clicked the 'BAR' button, it reloads spring into bar which handles it's menu system however it feels.

And the user could still easily switch between different menus.

If the game dev want's spring to skip all this and go straight into their menu; they would only need to configure spring to do that. Then they could rename spring.exe into nameofgame.exe and it would be like a real game, with it's own executable :wink:

Nice mockup btw :-)

Could a moderator by any chance move mine and jazcash's post's to my other thread viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33238 where it would fit in a little nicer?
gajop

Post by gajop »

A few things:
1) Enetheru's map's filename is called Blank v2 but it's actually Blank v1
2) Both maps have the same name => conflicting
3) Both maps have the sky (although seems like enetheru's has more => I don't want any)
4) Enetheru's map has grass

PS: Both maps have this weird blue off-map thingie when using my lobby instead of funken's. Is it knorke's widget that's killing off-map blueness?
Attachments
ingame_lobby.png
(23.19 KiB) Not downloaded yet
enetheru.png
(140.29 KiB) Not downloaded yet
silentwings.png
(23.55 KiB) Not downloaded yet
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

gajop wrote:1) Enetheru's map's filename is called Blank v2 but it's actually Blank v1
make the name anything you like, its irrelevant. the only name thats relevant is the smt file because its saved in the smf, but you can override that in the smd/mapinfo.lua
gajop wrote:2) Both maps have the same name => conflicting
smf files have a unique ID, why not use it? https://springrts.com/wiki/Mapdev:SMF_format
gajop wrote:3) Both maps have the sky (although seems like enetheru's has more => I don't want any)
entirely controlled with the mapinfo.lua/mapname.smd, just choose the settings you want. there will always be sky afaik, just make it as invisible as we can.
gajop wrote:4) Enetheru's map has grass
weird.
gajop wrote:PS: Both maps have this weird blue off-map thingie when using my lobby instead of funken's. Is it knorke's widget that's killing off-map blueness?
I believe both maps were using the smd file instead of lua, so its not in our archives whatever the problem is.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

gajop wrote:4) Enetheru's map has grass
I checked my map, it doesnt specify a grass map at all, so I conclude that its a bug in spring engine.
gajop

Post by gajop »

enetheru wrote:
gajop wrote:2) Both maps have the same name => conflicting
smf files have a unique ID, why not use it? https://springrts.com/wiki/Mapdev:SMF_format
I just wanted to say that you can't have both maps in the Spring maps folder and have it detected by the engine. I'm also pretty sure all Spring archives need to have a unique (name + version) field.
enetheru wrote:
gajop wrote:PS: Both maps have this weird blue off-map thingie when using my lobby instead of funken's. Is it knorke's widget that's killing off-map blueness?
I believe both maps were using the smd file instead of lua, so its not in our archives whatever the problem is.
/Shrug

Just want to add that I'll probably be using a default background image, so these fixes aren't critical for me.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Your image of my Blank v1 looks black to me! The map contains no lua, has perfectly black lighting and a perfectly black texture, so if it looks dark blue to you I guess it must be a user widget or some other local thing. Didn't realize I needed to explicitly turn off clouds, can do that.

Afaik all types of Spring archive need a unique name+version combination, or there will be collisions/desyncs.

Return to “Map Creation”