Specular Tex issue - Page 3

Specular Tex issue

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Anarchid

Re: Specular Tex issue

Post by Anarchid »

Relying on normal maps causes issues when you are doing larger or oblong maps
$ list issues
smoth

Post by smoth »

the normal map has to be a power of 2 value. Anything bigger than 1024 frequently caused issues. You can try it now but ultimately once you start looking at larger than 20x20 you are going to start having issues, it was either 24x24 or 20x20. Dunno, stopped playing with mapping years ago because the limitations I kept running into had me too pissed
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

I'm working on a 14x14 map right now. It's kind of obnoxious and at least for ZK I don't think I'll be making anything bigger than that. I've never played XTA or BA so I don't really get why they favor giant maps over 20x20, but I think that'd be a difficult scale to work on in any regard.

I intend my normal map to be the same size as the diffuse texture anyway, so it shouldn't cause problems.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Anything bigger than 1024 frequently caused issues
You've listed the conditions on which issues appear. You have not listed the actual issues.
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Anarchid wrote:
Anything bigger than 1024 frequently caused issues
You've listed the conditions on which issues appear. You have not listed the actual issues.
100MB file sizes, ugly maps, etc. :P

I tried normals for everything but it looked like crap no matter what settings I used and the file size was bigger than my whole map. It works well for rock and for things like those mex graphics, but horribly for pretty much everything else.

Return to “Map Creation”