Feature Placer Issue

Feature Placer Issue

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

aeonios

Feature Placer Issue

Post by aeonios »

Well, after digging through the thread on it I was finally able to figure out how to import actual features into feature placer so that I could actually do something with it. However, when I hit the "dump to set.lua" button it says "could not open set.lua for writing" and doesn't save. I've tried a bunch of things to get it to work with no success, and the error message doesn't tell me a whole lot. Anyone have any idea what I might need to do to get it to save properly?

I've tried this with v1.1 and also with a version I pulled directly from SVN with no luck. :(
gajop

Re: Feature Placer Issue

Post by gajop »

It seems like you don't have write permissions there.
Could be it's trying to save inside an archive or your data folder is not writable.
Could you post an infolog?
smoth

Post by smoth »

as i said in chat. post to pastebin, post the link. Otherwise it is hours of back and forth guess work.

Probably a permissions issue on your machine as gajop said.
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Well here's that: http://pastebin.com/0SniU3qn

And probably, but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it. :|

EDIT: also, my map is an uncompressed .sdd folder. I don't know where FP 1.1 tries to save to, so I don't know exactly where I should be looking either.
smoth

Post by smoth »

It should be writing the file into your spring directory.

The noweapon thing is wierd and needs to be fixed. I take no responsibility for that fork though.

I am unfamliar with userland installs and have no idea if it is trying to write to your userland. Gaj, thoughts?
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

smoth wrote:I am unfamliar with userland installs and have no idea if it is trying to write to your userland. Gaj, thoughts?
I had the same problem with the version I got through rapid, so I think it's something more general. I've had weird issues with this spring install in general though, like the lobby client not recognizing games that it installed itself. The games work fine when launching spring.exe directly though.

EDIT: Fixed. I had to move my maps folder from "C:\Program Files (x86)\Spring" to "Documents\My Games\Spring" where they should have been but spring did not even make a maps folder there when I installed it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

yeah I have no idea why people end up with installs there. Sorry to hear it.

the version of featureplacer on rapid and in forbs repo are the same fork. Nothing wrong with the fork, it is PD people can do what they want but understand I do not support that fork. I am truthfully not even sure as to what version of FP it was forked from.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

local f = io.open("maps/" .. mapname .. "_Set.lua", "w+")
this assumes there is a folder maps\ into which the file can be created. there is not always a folder maps\ into which the file can be created.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not mine. Reminds self, not my circus..

Return to “Map Creation”