Overgrown Maps - Page 2

Overgrown Maps

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Re: Overgrown Maps

Post by smoth »

Why? That is taking a feature away! I will ALWAYS stand with team options as far as content devs
raaar
Metal Factions Developer

Post by raaar »

Forboding Angel wrote:
smoth wrote:This is not good, you are disabling grass for anyone running this map. You are never resetting the value on exit. would be best if you store the player's current settings are then restored them on widget exit. Even still having maps play with user settings is bad imo.
According to JK's past statements, due to the way grass is done, everyone should always have grassdetail on 0, so I suppose you could consider it a public service. *shrug*

After hearing his explanation as to why, I agree with him btw.
hmm so this change in configuration affects all games. I used the configuration change widget but wasn't sure. Checked it again and confirm it too.

Intuitively an option would be to sample the map to figure out where the grass patches are and store the coordinates and then run another loop to clear out only those areas, but that's not possible because there seems to be no way to read the current grass state.

We could use area grass removal to remove grass below buildings, or on big blast sites.

Game devs can't really control the maps players use. The experience can be improved by overriding some map values.

Some maps have random bonuses to movement speed for some unit types. My game already overrides the map speed modifiers. I'll probably try to override the hardness as well: some maps are deformed too easily (example: tough tank gets pounded by cannon fire and becomes stuck in crater while still alive with half hp left). Other maps are too bright, or too dark. Another issue is feature death animations...remember the forest fires in OTA?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

raaar wrote: Another issue is feature death animations...remember the forest fires in OTA?
It also exists in spring if you set feature to flammable=1, but it's not as fancy as in OTA because then games would lag out.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Nodbody ever wrote a unifying wildfire shadder..

Lups could display such a fire without lagging out - shame on us gamedevs we never accomplished
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

WIP here, lags out though : viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27015&hilit=forest+fires

But thta map has several thousand trees...
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

Forboding Angel wrote:According to JK's past statements, due to the way grass is done, everyone should always have grassdetail on 0
WTF I haven't made a single post in this thread!

@Jools
That screenshot is obv. 91 and so blame ZK! In all later engines grass is colored by infotexture...
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

That screenshot is obv. 91 and so blame ZK! In all later engines grass is colored by infotexture...

AreyousurethisisZK.jpg
Attachments
suchzk.jpg
(161.71 KiB) Not downloaded yet
pylongrid.sized.jpg
(56.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
smoth

Post by smoth »

jK wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:According to JK's past statements, due to the way grass is done, everyone should always have grassdetail on 0
WTF I haven't made a single post in this thread!
apparently you had some rant where you said grass is expensive and no one should run it.

Return to “Map Creation”