What is SFFM?

What is SFFM?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Orfelius

What is SFFM?

Post by Orfelius »

While reading this forum i have encountered it in many ocasions yet i still dont understand its nature. I was trying to find the answer on wiki but i couldnt find any notable explanations.
Is this some kind of fluke new future format that didnt work out or somthing? like superSFM
People seem to relate it as equivalent to splat map and i was also told that it is a really good thing to have on your map. Could you tell me exacly what it is?
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: What is SFFM?

Post by FLOZi »

SSMF - Specular SMF (Spring Map Format)

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... hilit=ssmf
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Hmm.
Then is SSMF basicly this: http://springrts.com/wiki/Mapdev:specular? Or am I getting it wrong?
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

No it is not. This is a additional map to add reflection, most usefull for crystall, metall and ice-worlds.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Ssmf is just smf with shaders. Its not separate to smf but rather in addition to smf.

Ive always found the naming annoying. Thats why the wiki docs dont use the name ssmf becausse it doesnt have a specification.

Most if not all of the ssmf additions are completely optional and separate from each other.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

SSMF is a misnomer and as such, meaningless. It's commonly used to mean "maps with things other than diffuse and height", or maybe "maps with advanced shading".

SFFM though... I'd guess it's for Straight FFM.
Orfelius

Post by Orfelius »

Ok thanks for the answers :)
I now understand that SSMF is just a collection of shaders over SMF maps. Whether being the specular, grass, detailtexture or some other kind of additional map.
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Post by FLOZi »

Perhaps it ought to be retconned to Shader Spring Map Format

Return to “Map Creation”