My maps are not up for grabs to do as you please with.

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

It kinda urks me that someone recently decided they are going to take my maps are work on them. Didn't even ask permission, in a thread where I said clearly that i have updated versions I am working on. I don't appreciate it and frankly am pissed.

So look, if you want to alter one of my maps, you need to ask. if it is a map I am working on, you cannot, I don't appreciate that.
qray

Re: My maps are not up for grabs to do as you please with.

Post by qray »

If you are referring to this post:
Started updating the textures and then I have to do blueprint settings. After that there are a few things that need to be done for bar. I will post a few shots of the updated textures after I get done with my splats, specular etc.
I don't think you have to worry. 1 post by this user and he's repeating exactly your post before (I did notice this only on the second read).

Bot? Advertiser?
Maybe he just forgot to add the link to the k***tchens :wink:
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Ah, I made this same mistake when I read it first but I think it was just a bot repeating your previous post verbatim.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

I thought it was a mismanaged quotation...
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

you will get into hells k j t c h e n for that malik125

God damn it, the bots get even better at trollin.

Soon whole 4chan might face unemployment
smoth

Post by smoth »

wierd.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

But to talk a bit inline with the topic, I haven't thought about polishing up someone else's maps, merely because it's a lot of work and I have my own maps that are not yet finished.

But in principle, wouldn't it be good if people co-laborated on maps, then maybe we could have more of them in a polished state. I don't think I would mind if someone worked on my maps, as long as they would *improve* them and maybe keep the map's philosophy the same.

Aren´'t they maps released as GPL anyway? I don't think I myself bothered with any licenses.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Reverse psychology engineering.
Suddenly i feel the urge to rename it into Picasso_NorthernMountains.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Jools wrote:But in principle, wouldn't it be good if people co-laborated on maps, then maybe we could have more of them in a polished state. I don't think I would mind if someone worked on my maps, as long as they would *improve* them and maybe keep the map's philosophy the same. .
if they have a similar sense of aesthetics sure. I don't really think that there isn't collaboration, I used the fog shader on these maps and that is collaboration. Jk used my map options stuff as a reference when doing his blue print etc. My features/skyboxes are still used. There is a lot of working together. However, if you mean directly, I think several people have done that in the past. IIRC behe and arturri did several things together.

Hell, I have the permission of the supreme battlefield map maker to redo his map. I just have not done it yet.

Jools wrote:Aren´'t they maps released as GPL anyway?
no, that is is a silly assumption. I have 1 map released as gpl, and I did it properly. islands at war is gpl and the source was released. I have my map sources available for learning but no my maps are not up for people to go and do what they want with because I am still working on them and would be DEEPLY insulted if someone took my wip and forked it. Because there would be 2 of the exact same layouts out there, the guy doing the fork would then start to feel ownership and get competitive etc. Competition does not always breed better products sometimes it just results in a lot of undercutting etc.
gajop

Post by gajop »

Hahaha, wow, I guess bots are successful if they managed to make you mad ;D
Cheesecan

Post by Cheesecan »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery..so take it as a compliment?
smoth

Post by smoth »

Not when I already had to rename my 7 year old map because some cunt used the same name for an S44 map and didn't even put the S44 prefix in front.

User was warned for this post: Felony 1

Really, no need to be so rude about an honest coincidence.

--FLOZi

Return to “Map Creation”