SpringMapEdit outdated?

SpringMapEdit outdated?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Zhall

SpringMapEdit outdated?

Post by Zhall »

I take it that Spring Map Edit is no longer used?

Is there a replacement?

or...

I'm really new around here
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: SpringMapEdit outdated?

Post by FLOZi »

You can use it, but it lacks support for the latest generation of additions to the spring map format (SSMF)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

It's useful for unpacking maps, and if you are patient you can use it to make heightmaps (which should be saved as raw files to avoid the bug where SME terraces). SME is not good for making texturemaps, although it has a very basic auto-generation functionality that can be handy for previewing your heightmap.

I use World Machine (not free & you'll need the pro version to make any sizeable map) + Beherith's Mapconv. Occasionally I also use SME to design the outline of a heightmap, which I would then use a starting point in WM. http://springfiles.com/spring/spring-maps/malibu-beach is an example of a map that was made that way.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Springmapedit has not been updated in a while but I would not really call it outdated. Interface is strange to get used to.
Author is supposedly still around sometimes looking at things:
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 23#p536023
Download the extra prefabs package-thing from SME homepage. With it you can quickly make roads and urban concrete landscapes. Some decent looking maps have been made that way.

Imo for start it is perfect because:
-it is free
-it can directly export to spring format (sometimes problems on certain systems)
-unlike some "real" terrain editors: it does not take ages to render
-you can export everything to "upgrade" your map afterwards with whatever other fancy software/scripts you wish to use
-3D preview with waterlevel at the height where it will appear in spring
smoth

Post by smoth »

This engine has no proper map editor. you just create a heightfield(a 2 dimensional greyscale image) a texturemap(a 2 dimensional texture that is applied to said heightfield, run that + metalmap/feature map through a compiler and then boom.

some around here use blender to generate their maps, others use worldmachine, still others use pure photoshop
Zhall

Post by Zhall »

The compiler to make the .sd7 file is mostly what I'm looking for then?

Thanks
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

http://springrts.com/wiki/MapConv
http://springrts.com/wiki/Mapdev:Tutorial_Finalizing

Not sure how useful the tutorial page is - mapconv comes with an example.bat file that was all I needed to get it working. It also has --help.

Maconv will turn your height/texture/metalmap/etc into a .smt and a .smf and a mini.dds.
You then need to make a mapinfo.smd or (more recently fashionable) a mapinfo.lua file (just unpack some other map .sd7 with 7z and take one).
Then place the smt,smf,mini.dds,mapinfo into e.g. ../maps/MyMapName.sdd/maps. This will allow Spring to read your map.
To distribute as sd7, check the tutorial instructions for how to turn .sdd into .sd7. In fact, sd7 is just a 7z named as sd7. For games its important to not use solid state format, for maps it doesn't matter so much.
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Zhall wrote:I'm really new around here
Check out the wiki, were put quite a lot of effort into it over the years.
And let us know if you get stuck on any specific thing.

http://springrts.com/wiki/Gamedev:Archives
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

I made Trojan Hills & Bandit Plains using SpringMapEdit, which both still work today.

They both demonstrate the weaknesses of using SpringMapEdit for the heavy lifting though - soft height map, poor looking textures, uncompressed format.
XTA Developer

Post by 8611 »

soft height map: What do you mean: the soft rolling hills like in map BanditPlains?
It is possible to make sharper/hard terrain edges too, with the different brushes and settings.

poor looking textures: The included selection of textures is indeed poor.
More textures can be found on web and placed in folder \brushtextures\

uncompressed format: It is not mandatory to use the built-in export-to-springmap function, on ATI it is bugged anyway. For final release it is possible to export the heightmap, texture, etc and compile with other tool/settings. The built-in export is still somewhat useful to make quick test versions or previews with one click.
smoth

Post by smoth »

8611 wrote:soft height map:
mostly rolling hills and the like.
8611 wrote:poor looking textures:
The textures are not going to be as good as something rendered in worldmachine
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

SpringMapEdit isn't compulsory to make maps. You can pretty much use any tool you want (Paint, Gimp, Blender, ...) to create images that will be used as heightmap, texturemap, metalmap, featuremap, and then compile them with mapconv.

I disagree with Silentwings about the mini.dds, which I prefer to throw away, and about solid compression, which believe matters much that it be disabled. And I'd have precised that after taking the mapinfo.lua or <mapname>.smd from another map, you must edit it (with any text editor). But otherwise: what he said.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Actually I throw it away too, but mapconv does produce it!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/

is a good low-cost solution.

Return to “Map Creation”