Good ways to make texturemaps?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Sprang

Post by Sprang »

Hello there!

Through these forums I've already become aware of some cool ways to make a map texture. The Carrara tutorial by Beherith has been really helpful, thank you. Springmapeditor is also surprisingly good at texturing. And of course, Photoshop owns for post-processing and tweaking.

There's is no "right way" to do a texture, though, and variety is good. So that's why I'm asking you, what other texturing software, and ways to texture maps, do you recommend?

Thanks!
enetheru

Re: Good ways to make texturemaps?

Post by enetheru »

I use blender+GIMP and am getting some alright results
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

L3DT is pretty win, and cheap too, plus it has excellent support.
knorke

Post by knorke »

Well it says "Good ways to make texturemaps" and not "ways to make good texturemaps", so...

...this is totally the future:

The basic trick is to seperate the heightmap into solid areas of cliffs / plateaus / flat ground.
Then color them in and apply random filters until it looks good enough.
For "Conflict Terra style" maps it works okayish.

Adding random pixels (noise) all over the image and then applying median filter to make the pixels into clumps is also interessting:
median filter is also good to remove stray pixel.

close up of ground:
problem is, such texture does not seem to compress very well.

Ok, I admit it looks crap.
But I was not actually trying, the methode is not too bad imo if you have little patient or talent.
Software was irfanview.
Sprang

Post by Sprang »

Thanks for tha replies!

How is Blender for texturing? Does it have some kind of a terrain generation system?

And aw yeah, and I missed L3DT. Indeed, it seems like a useful tool for multiple mapping things. I do prefer the textures Carrara makes though, they feel a bit more organic to me, and they're easily and highly customizable.
Knorke wrote: Well it says "Good ways to make texturemaps" and not "ways to make good texturemaps", so...
Lol, indeed it does.

I didn't quite fully understand your tutorial, Knorke, and the screenshots you made didn't fully convince me that I could make beautiful maps this way. But damn, that's one funky camo texture in the last screenie, I like it!
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

Sprang wrote:How is Blender for texturing? Does it have some kind of a terrain generation system?
1. combine procedural displacement textures, with sculpting to create the height map.
2. create procedural diffuse normal, specular, etc etc textures.
3. render

I've been working on cooper hill for a couple of weeks, turning out OK and ive learned a lot about the new cycles renderer, compositing, and materials.
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28318

Getting ever so close to releasing the map, just working out a few final things, and cleaning it up.
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

1) get diffuse textures with corresponding bumpmaps (and specular if you're feeling fancy)
2) create a springmapedit script to paint your map the way you want
3) render a map texture, once for each type (i.e. one for diffuse, one for bumps)
4) load them into your friendly 3d editor; combine with heighmap using a displaced plane
5) add lighting for shading and AO
6) profit
fc14159

Post by fc14159 »

Terragen is a nice program to use. Just the most basic features has pretty good results.
Attachments
screen00006.png
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 5 times
Sprang

Post by Sprang »

So many ways to make textures I never even knew... thanks for the infos and keep em coming! :-)

And yeah, that Ghost Peak map is quite pretty. Looks like Terragen is legit for texturing.
1v0ry_k1ng

Post by 1v0ry_k1ng »

springmapedit and patience :P

Return to “Map Creation”