Map editor

Map editor

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

darkenthatblack

Map editor

Post by darkenthatblack »

I need new map editor.
SpringMapEdit not good.
Beherith

Re: Map editor

Post by Beherith »

Springmapedit is the only complete map making solution for spring. You can use images and MapConv if you find it lacking (you have to make the images with your choice of heightmap/texture making apps.)
darkenthatblack

Post by darkenthatblack »

only :cry: :cry: :cry:
smoth

Post by smoth »

YEP
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

SME gets the job done. It can be annoying at first, but the more time you spend with it, the easier it'll come to you.

knorke

Post by knorke »

SpringMapEdit is still being developed. So if you tell Frostregen about what is "not good" maybe he will improve it.
gajop

Post by gajop »

i considered adding at least simple map modification tools to the scenario editor i'm making, is there any reason we wouldn't want an in-game editor instead?
i.e what are the benefits of having an external tool (other than the fact it exists) in comparison to an ingame tool?
smoth

Post by smoth »

loading tile sets etc.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Doesent matter anyway, modmakers terraform our maps into whatever travesty they wish.. even drop there own textures on it via decals. We are the Sum of the Earth, Spring should ban mods that allow terraforming - and respect our Art.

ZK, im looking at you.
smoth

Post by smoth »

HUMBUG! LIES AND SLANDER I SAY!
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

ZK is innocent! I'm the one guilty of:

SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Once you realize how easy the whole map compile process is (texturemap + heightmap + featuremap + metalmap = map) you feel no need for any editors. You just need the MapConv.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Once you realize how easy the whole map compile process is (texturemap + heightmap + featuremap + metalmap = map) you feel no need for any editors. You just need the MapConv.
The only downside here is that it's in no way visual and has all those arbitrary rules about texture sizes, etc.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The texture size rules may seem arbitrary, but are pretty logical if you ask me. Also, mapconv warns you if you have the wrong sizes, and everyone has a calculator on their computer and can do a simple multiplication and addition.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Post by PicassoCT »

Thats alot of estimation on your side behe. Not everyone uses math in his daily job, im pretty sure, if people would have to count out the money themselves in shops, you would have a lot of "i left my classes" at home-less people.

Just sayin.
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

The texture size rules may seem arbitrary, but are pretty logical if you ask me. Also, mapconv warns you if you have the wrong sizes, and everyone has a calculator on their computer and can do a simple multiplication and addition.
They are logical, yet still add a lot of unwanted complexity. Even if you know about them, they only serve to add work.

Return to “Map Creation”