SMD Creator v3.5

SMD Creator v3.5

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Maelstrom

SMD Creator v3.5

Post by Maelstrom »

Check it out! Handy for all your mapping needs. Go get it here: http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=2065

Final Version is v3.5

I have finished working on this now. If anyone else wants to continue development, feel free. The source code is included.
Last edited by Maelstrom on 29 Dec 2005, 07:01, edited 4 times in total.
FizWizz

Post by FizWizz »

awesome, but where is my cookie?
Mugslugs

cookie

Post by Mugslugs »

if you read the T&Cs are at the bottom of his post in grey text
Kixxe

Post by Kixxe »

Avaliability of the free cookie is dependant on current stock. We currently have no stock. Go away

Danm the fineprint!

Anyway, this is cooL! No more tizzle tazzle with strange code and stuff. Everyone can make a map now.

If they aren't to lazy >.>

Like me ^^
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Isn't this thing basicly what sharpmap was? Buggi, you need to work quick or we won't need you anymore.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Stealing my cookies!?! You probably have burnt fingers, no wonder your stock is zero. We all know I deal out the cookies here.

*Sends a hamper full to cookies to kixxe for having a lovable avatar*
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

SwiftSpear wrote:Isn't this thing basicly what sharpmap was? Buggi, you need to work quick or we won't need you anymore.
No, Sharpmap was a map compiler. It compiled all the bitmaps into a Spring friendly format, leaving you high and dry on the SMD front. This tool fills the gap nicely. :)
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

Excellent, add a load file option so that you can edit an existing SMD and it will be perfect
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

I must admit, it IS pretty terregen style sexy... Mapping is getting so easy I'm considering bitting the bullet and trying to make one again... :lol:
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

As long as we dont get flooded with hundreds of below par, Look I can make a map, sort of maps... I'll be fine.
Ofcourse, people still need to master making a good texture, metal disribution, adding features, making skyboxes... so I should quit worrying as theres no easy way to do that!
:-)

When you add a load button ill get it... till then I'm cool with by hand.

aGorm
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Well im adding in a load button as we speak. Didnt know it was such a high priority. Its almost there, I just have to link up the values to the relevant text boxes. Very tedious work. But im almost there. Should ba another version out by the end of the day.

Just a few questions though, are there any settings missing? Is there any other features that you people desperatly want? Does it look alright? Anyother comments?
mongus

Post by mongus »

ah, looks very good.

(wonder if this can be boundled with next sharpmap (wooo!))
(if you feel like so)

random thougths (im not a map maker).

"Templates" can be done easily, and loaded-save as, so this is already supported.

The sun direction has few values, doenst it? (like north, south, east, west..).
Is not like you can place it at any place you desire?.
(the guy in the middle has a big head eh? :) )

Put a warning about using values > 1 in unit speeds, (it seems confuses the pathing, units prefer slower (<1) terrain!).

Auto show metal -> Auto show Metal map.

(there is a typo in "detail texture").

does a map maker have real/important suggestions?
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

That looks really cool, really useful!

If those colours are similar to how they will show up in game, that will be very helpfull.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Well that really puts my thing to shame. :cry:
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:Well that really puts my thing to shame. :cry:
Are you refering to that aplication to grafically use mapconv? (sorry to the correct maker if i'm not remembering correctly)

If so, that aplication is cool too and i was thinking about it when i posted here. The game, and everything around it, benefits greatly from that kind of stuff.

Also, your aplication co-exists with this one since this one does not solves the same issues as yours.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Heh thanks, theres just two main things delaying the release of my next version, how to open a sub window, and the rgb value of the background.

My only suggestion is a save/load feature, so you don't have to create them again if you want to modify it. Unless it already does that. :P
Isaactoo

Post by Isaactoo »

Neat Program...I may try and make a map after sharp-map is made (=
When you choose a color the blue and green buttons are reversed and the whole bottom row doesn't work right.
Maelstrom

Post by Maelstrom »

Yea, I forgot about that problem Isaactoo. Gonna fix it straight after I make the load thing work. Sorry about no new version, had to go out for the weekend. SHOULD be out by tonight, or at the latest tommorow night. Will try to fix all the problems mentioned here. Keep the ideas coming!
mongus

Post by mongus »

in the terrain type section, in kbots-tanks etc move speed you can introduce a dot (0.8) or a comma, (0,8) and its accepted without complain (it should be a dot).

tankmovespeed=8; <--- O_O ( 0.8 is being transformed to 8 ).
kbotmovespeed=0,8;

also, typing 0.8 or .8 should be taken as the same thing, actually it complains if you type a dot as the leading character.

an independent save load terrain types may be usefull too.

When choosing a color, the default color buttons dont give the color displayed on them.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

A good use of VB >_> nice work man

Might want to add an "About" button that displays that you amde the program ;)

Return to “Map Creation”