Super Idea I've finaly remembered

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Well, I think Its cool anyway...

basicly I was wondering If a tag could be added to the type map to make the ground shinny.

Basicly so that, If you place down metal, and you covered that area on teh typemap with (for example) Red 255 and then Gave it different propaties from the rest of the map, you could also specifie a shinny value (say from 1- 100) of how refelctive it is. This way you can have polished marble in your maps... swampy ground where you can see your reflections on the wet ground, and metal will refect teh units. Think of what an ausome graphical effect that would be!!

This may of course take quite some time to add... on the other hand It may not...

While thats being done are there any other things people think could be added to the typemap system? I was thinking heat haze would be a cool one, and possibly ground fog... although they sound harder to implament to me...

aGorm
IMSabbel

Post by IMSabbel »

I asked that a month ago or so...

The DDS format used for the texture of the map allows for all type of alpha channels, so it should be no problem technically.

My thought of using it was shiny metal patches, because right now with the lighting most look more like dull grey...
b1ind

Post by b1ind »

In the far future, I think it would be pretty spiffy if instead of a texture-based system, a material based system were used. Materials would allow for shaders (heat haze from lava, reflections, perhaps even empty space w/ twinkling stars) and properties similar to the current ground type stuff.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

Maybe if we just used the typemap for that instead, it would be much easier and less restrictive.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

would be nice to have shiny ice for your units to walk/drive on :)

Return to “Map Creation”