Height Map

Height Map

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

oksnoop2

Height Map

Post by oksnoop2 »

http://img260.imageshack.us/i/italheight.png/][img]http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/3589/italheight.png EDIT, broke it to keep load times down

Just wanted some opinions.
Last edited by oksnoop2 on 28 Apr 2010, 02:51, edited 1 time in total.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Re: Height Map

Post by zwzsg »

Add more pathes between left plain and right plain. Looks like this will be clog canyon.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

Yeah i guess i can cut out the bottom chunk of N. Africa and make another pass.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Rather than posting up a humongo file, that takes a minute to transfer, that gets squished to 500x500 by the forum css, you could always upload a 500x500 jpeg?
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

oksnoop2 wrote:Yeah i guess i can cut out the bottom chunk of N. Africa and make another pass.
Are you saying it's Italy? If some area are water, it's important to know!
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

What game is this for, what can pass where? Hows resource distribution, planned size etc.

How do you want it to play, and do you think it would play like that in its current form? Tell more specifically what things you want criticized in it.
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

AF wrote:Rather than posting up a humongo file, that takes a minute to transfer, that gets squished to 500x500 by the forum css, you could always upload a 500x500 jpeg?
Unless it's hurting other people in any certain way. I don't really care if the file is humongo. Only took a minute or two to get it from the hard drive to the boards.
zwzsg wrote:Are you saying it's Italy? If some area are water, it's important to know!
Yeah it's loosely based on Italy. Water is supposed to be where you think it is if you imagine it as the Mediterranean. I wanted do that, a semi dry map where only the black is water, and a completely dry map.

JohannesH wrote:What game is this for, what can pass where? Hows resource distribution, planned size etc.

How do you want it to play, and do you think it would play like that in its current form? Tell more specifically what things you want criticized in it.

I'm working on a map for CT. So it should come out to be a 32x32 map. Right now i think it's set up to make a 46x46 map. I might make that size too just for kicks. And if the height map turns out to be any fun i'll make a dinky one for all you folks to like to play on smaller maps. I have no idea how small it has to be to be popular. 16x16? 8x8? Whatever DSD dimensions are? I was hoping for some input on that respect. Too often i make my height maps too dynamic and therefore unplayable. So i was shooting for more gentle slopes and such. I guess i wanted amphibious tanks from BA to be able to cross from the water to the land using those little ramps. I generally have a hard time telling how much metal is the right amount. I like maps that produce about 3 metal per spot (in BA). I probably did not answer anyone's questions very well. Sorry.
Kenku

Post by Kenku »

The question I believe was brought up with three reefs. 16x16 is standard for BA/CA/SA/XTA/The Cursed, 32x32 for NOTA, with Evo somewhere in the middle.
zwzsg

Post by zwzsg »

oksnoop2 wrote:Unless it's hurting other people in any certain way. I don't really care if the file is humongo. Only took a minute or two to get it from the hard drive to the boards.
I was hurt by the very long load time. I was also hurt by the rudeness of your attitude, making everybody waste one minute to save you one. Thirdly, you hurt my feelings of what's the Right Thing to do.
zwzsg wrote:Yeah it's loosely based on Italy.
I had seen ital in the pic filename, but couldn't believe it. Are you an american?
zwzsg wrote:Water is supposed to be where you think it is if you imagine it as the Mediterranean.
I'm confused by having one island instead of Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily, and by having some sort of large sea with Island instead of the thin Adriatic and Yougoslavia coast, and by how your boot's heel is symmetric, and ... well you're so loose on geography that no, where water is cannot be guessed.

So next time, paint water blue and land green, even though you're uploading heighmap and texture, so we can tell which is water.

I don't doubt you know clearly where water is, but if you make a thread asking for opinions, you have to make it clear for us too.
Sausage

Post by Sausage »

NEEDS MORE GAUSSIAN BLUR
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

porc hell = infinity cliffs + ramps that are 2 units wide
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

At zwzsg
OK that's a valid point on the load time. I'll remember next time i upload in the map sub forum. Sorry , did not mean to hurt anyone's feelings. I did not mean to come off as rude. Yes i'm from the United States. The shade of gray that surrounds the boot is the water. I'll try added a crude texture next time to indicate water and land.

At Sausage
Noted.

At hunterw
Make it more passable. Can do.

Thanks for the advice.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Sausage wrote:NEEDS MORE GAUSSIAN BLUR
I'd go with noise, distortion and erosion first...
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

hunterw wrote:porc hell = infinity cliffs + ramps that are 2 units wide
Play evo! :mrgreen:
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

So I gave up on that map. But here's another. It's 32x32 The starting spots will be in the top left and bottom right corners. I tried to apply the notes that were giving to me last time to this map. I have not made a metal layer i'm satisfied with yet. Once again i'm shooting for a metal value of 3 per spot. I want something where the distribution of metal get's progressively stronger as you head into the valley. If anyone had any suggestions for a preliminary metal map go for it.

Height Map
By foo2 at 2010-04-27

Basic Texture

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

suggestion: put almost all the metal in the middle. 3 per spot is a lot of metal, put spots sparingly...maybe ~30 on the whole map.

also please use a texturing program instead of hideous solid color texture
oksnoop2

Post by oksnoop2 »

I really don't see what's so ugly with using the flat colors. If anyone has a link to nice textures i can dump into SME I might consider making a nicer texture. Thanks for the suggestion for metal, I really don't know what's a popper amount.
SanadaUjiosan
Conflict Terra Developer

Post by SanadaUjiosan »

I think with a map system like Springs, where you actually make the texture and it's not auto-generated (like more traditional map makers) it should really be utilized in achieving multiple types of map styles/genres. Going for realism is fine if that's what you're going for, but personally, I'm sick of always coming up short.

I'm a strong proponent of trying flat color textures/highly stylized textures until I'm flat-out proven wrong that it doesn't work.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It's not a matter of wrong, it's just that flat colour textures are ugly and boring.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

oksnoop2 wrote:I really don't see what's so ugly with using the flat colors. If anyone has a link to nice textures i can dump into SME I might consider making a nicer texture. Thanks for the suggestion for metal, I really don't know what's a popper amount.
Here is what you definitely should try for SME texturing:
You can get awesome looking, free and properly tiling textures from http://www.cgtextures.com . I know that downloading requires free registration, but it will provide you with a wealth of free and very good looking textures for all your mapping and modeling needs.

P.S.: I am in no way affiliated with the above mentioned site. I only use their free version and its perfectly enough. Though I have thought of purchasing an account to get at those 2k by 2k sized properly tiling textures...

Return to “Map Creation”