So, I'm making my first map... - Page 2

So, I'm making my first map...

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Re: So, I'm making my first map...

Post by Beherith »

For the love of god:
[LIGHT]
{
SunDir=0.6 0.85 0.8;
GroundAmbiantColor=0.09 0.06 0.05;
GroundSunColor=0.95 0.62 0.45;
GroundShadowDensity=1;
UnitAmbiantColor=0.09 0.06 0.05;
UnitSunColor=0.98 0.68 0.49;
UnitShadowDensity=1;
SpecularSunColor=0.95 0.62 0.45;

Its *ambiEntcolor!
Ima grep all the smds in spring. I think more than half have this bug.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Thats very good point Behe. Forgot that totally again. Have to remember that for my next map not to make same mistakes again.

However, having it wrong named, wont effect much since groundambient and unitambient indicates the color of the shadows and default colors for them are gray iirc. (Although, more realistic color for shadow is slightly graypurple or grayblue)

Hmm, now that I think about it, im not perfectly sure how the groundambientcolor will effect on the brightness of the map, since it reacts with detailtexture, which we found out with behe to be biggest factor of fucking up brightness, especially for steep cliffs.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

none of mine do :-)
gonpost

Post by gonpost »

So, I have a beta of the map ready! The name is LowTide. The tide has gone out, and the robots are out to play. Anyone wanna give her a look?

Maplink: http://www.filedropper.com/lowtide

I still want some mossy rocks, but haven't been able to find them either in the blacklake map or in the gundam mod, sadly. Anyone know a map that uses them?

I also fixed the ambiant --> ambient thing. I guess that's what I get for copying over small sup's .smd directly, haha.

Edit: Indeed. Name changed to LowTideBeta. :D

Edit2: Nevermind, that doesn't work easily. I'll just add a version number later if needed...
Last edited by gonpost on 06 Mar 2010, 07:24, edited 4 times in total.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Just a rule of thumb: If you ever make another release (you probably will, very few maps are perfect on first release), then give it a different name. Never ever release two files with the same name. It just spawns chaos.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Lol, ran find on 771 maps, and a whopping 220 of them have the mistaken GroundAmbiantcolor specification :)
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

There are a few other things wrong with that SMD snippet:
  • * GroundSunColor should be GroundDiffuseColor
    * SpecularSunColor should be GroundSpecularColor (only used by SM3 maps)
    * UnitSunColor should be UnitDiffuseColor
This is because the tags are not named the same as the variables the engine uses to represent them:

Code: Select all

light.groundSunColor = lightTable.GetFloat3("groundDiffuseColor", float3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f));
light.groundSpecularColor = lightTable.GetFloat3("groundSpecularColor", float3(0.1f, 0.1f, 0.1f));
light.unitSunColor = lightTable.GetFloat3("unitDiffuseColor", float3(0.7f, 0.7f, 0.7f));
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

660 of 771 maps contain UnitSunColor. While 3 maps contain UnitDiffuseColor. Yay!

But both UnitSunColor and GroundSunColor are read and properly used by spring. So why should it be *DiffuseColor?
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Ah, it seems trepan's maphelper script already performs an automatic conversion:

Code: Select all

for k, v in pairs(light) do
    local s, e, prefix = k:find('^(.*)suncolor$')
    if (prefix) then
      k = prefix .. 'diffusecolor'
    end
  end
An extra catch for the "ambiant" typo proliferation might be in order though. [done]
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Kloot wrote: An extra clause for the "ambiant" typo proliferation might be in order though. ;)
Dont, since most of the maps that have it specified have it adjusted way out of proportion.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Beherith wrote:
Kloot wrote: An extra clause for the "ambiant" typo proliferation might be in order though. ;)
Dont, since most of the maps that have it specified have it adjusted way out of proportion.
Yes, I think most of the maps are designed and smd adjusted according the result/outcome of this tiny particular mistake. Fixing it to be correct would mean breaking the maps design.

'Ambiant' error is just now part of the design (As stupid it might sound), since its overriden by default definition.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

How out of proportion compared to the default ambient value (float3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f)) are we talking? And are any of these maps played regularly?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

http://pastebin.com/p9zNMcC7

All of hunters, most of artturis map, and dsd.
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

Alright, reverted it is.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Kloot wrote:How out of proportion compared to the default ambient value (float3(0.5f, 0.5f, 0.5f)) are we talking? And are any of these maps played regularly?
Iirc, AmbientColor has huge impact on the lighting and brightness of the map since it reacts with detailtexture. Try it out yourself?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Hehe, found the culprit:

First 3 maps with this bug (from 2005 august)
All have: //Compiled by Maelstroms SMD Creator version 3.1
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

I figured that was the culprit.

Used to maps with smds made by that program would totally crash out due to a bug it put in the smds. Apparently not anymore. I myself keep that prog around because it's the quickest way I know to get 0-1 colors without doing it in photoshop and guesstimating the numbers in my head.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Beherith wrote:
What do you recommand we do? People depand on the existing contant!

Return to “Map Creation”