4 new maps - FFA and team maps

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Ive had a few of these maps in the pipeline for a while, in different stages of completion, so I decided to push them.

Vittra http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2539
10*10 sized map, for 2v2 games, kbots recommended. Thanks for the trees Artturi!

Claymore http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2538
A new FFA map, size 24*24, for 5-10-15 players, all feedback greatly appreciated! Trees by Artturi :)

Melange http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2507
A large, open FFA map with no roads. Ideal is 4-8-12-16 players. Center players get a hefty resource bonus.

Albion http://www.springfiles.com/show_file.php?id=2465

An 8v8 map, with 3 tiered combat. Playable size is 12*20.

Every single map done with world machine and carrara.
Gota

Re: 4 new maps - FFA and team maps

Post by Gota »

Ahhh the desert map looks brilliant.Hope it wont be too confusing with so many small hills.
SirArtturi

Post by SirArtturi »

Looking good. Melange is brilliant piece.

Thanks for using the trees, you were able to fit them to your maps very well. Just fix the groundshadowdensity for claymore and it will look much smoother...
Jazcash

Post by Jazcash »

I fear the nice spikeyness of Melange will become fugly with view radius set to anything below 60 or so?
KaiserJ
Community Representative

Post by KaiserJ »

they all look so good and fun to play :D i think claymore will be recieved very well; out of all of them i think that's the one i like the most, but we'll see after some testing ^^

melange, eh?

now all we need is Z's sandworm squirming around :>
Last edited by KaiserJ on 27 Feb 2010, 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Critters could be awesome...especially if they leave blood and liquids after they get blown to shreds by some plasma ball.
SirMaverick

Post by SirMaverick »

Can you disallow building in the mountains, too? If you disabled anything else (attack etc.) it's hard to kill stuff there.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

I think trying to prevent play on the mountains is more trouble than it's worth.

What is the gain in preventing sneaky AT attacks? There is no metal up there so I doubt AT would dominate any games. The current functionality of the gadget means that AT attacks are possible but very tedious.

Now there wouldn't be a problem with the out of bounds area if it actually worked. Currently buildings can be produced there, at least that should be an easy fix. I don't think you can fix the mountains to act exactly like the edge of the map. What if a wreck/unit is thrown into the mountains and then targeted by an area command? For that matter units and wrecks thrown off the map appear at the edge of the map later, this should happen for the mountains.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

The main reason my attempt at preventing all commands on cliffs is the fact that you cant do anything against an incoming commdrop or any air if you dont have fighters.
Gota

Post by Gota »

Movement in those spots can provide interesting gameplay twists...
Like exploiting that space for sudden air attacks.
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Beherith wrote:The main reason my attempt at preventing all commands on cliffs is the fact that you cant do anything against an incoming commdrop or any air if you dont have fighters.
I dont think thats a problem. It just makes air a tad stronger, which isnt that bad to me. You could offmap air units in TA for example, its nothing gamebreaking. And its not too hard to get offmap in Spring either.

You just have to consider if you want to build in the extreme border of the map. Which isnt THAT dangerous still in any case.
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Beherith wrote:The main reason my attempt at preventing all commands on cliffs is the fact that you cant do anything against an incoming commdrop or any air if you dont have fighters.
My point is that commdropping from behind is still possible.

As others have said the possibility of a comm drop isn't bad for the map, to be vulnerable you would have to have the base right in the foothills and some MT would solve that.

Charlie has spots that seem designed for commdrops and other air sneakyness yet noone has complained that I know of.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

How can you go around the hills in a trans in albion?
Achilla

Post by Achilla »

Brilliant maps, Albion and Melange just made my day! So much old TA/SC, I see you have some nice map design there!
Sucky_Lord

Post by Sucky_Lord »

Claymore looks a beast
JohannesH

Post by JohannesH »

Beherith wrote:How can you go around the hills in a trans in albion?
make trans follow a peeper or bomber, make that plane go into the hills or off map, when the trans is there order it to the corner you wanna go to. You cant drop from the back reliably, just from the sides.

But when I tried it actually sucks pretty hard, since trans takes ages to come down from the high mountain, its such big height difference. If theres just 1 defender in the corner, it should get enough shots to kill trans before it has chance to unload anything. If theres several I would guess the trans blows so high up in the air that the explosion doesnt do much to the stuff below.
Coresair

Post by Coresair »

JAZCASH wrote:I fear the nice spikeyness of Melange will become fugly with view radius set to anything below 60 or so?
......And why would you do that?
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

At 60 it still looks decent.

Updated Claymore to v2. No more corner porc: map is surrounded by water -5 deep (nothing can be built, units can move there).
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

i got problem with melange, when i try to connect to the server with this map my tas freeze :X it happens only to servers with this map
Google_Frog

Post by Google_Frog »

Beherith wrote:How can you go around the hills in a trans in albion?
All these methods are based on sending a unit into the hills then guarding it with a transport. If you check unit position for guard commands the command can always be given before the unit enters the no go zone.
  • Firstly as JohannesH said; make a plane, fly it near the edge and it lands inside the hills.
  • Tell an aircon to make a building inside the no go zone.
  • Units can be thrown into the no go zone.
  • Wrecks that have been thrown in can be targeted with area reclaim.
  • Game specific commands (such as jump) are not blocked when placed in the no go zone, there is the possibility of this being used. Preventing these commands has the potential to break games.
To solve this you have got to check all unit and wreck positions to make sure they never venture out of the play area. This is extremely ugly when applied to aircraft so I do not think it is a solution. There is also the possibility of more stringent command blocking causing some games to crash.

Command blocking is unintuitive. A player might give a custom formations command to make aircraft hug the hills and later find that only half the aircraft went.

In the context of BA I do not see the problem with (properly) allowing units to enter the hills. Aircraft will generally fly high enough above the hills (thanks smoothmesh) to be targetable by most AA and fighters can always defend that area. If sneaky spider strats are used then it's a good thing. To be more vunerable to commbomb than usual a player would have to build their base snug up against the cliffs.

Your hills are a band no more than 800 elmos wide. Charlie has much wider hills and it is not a problem.

Return to “Map Creation”