2 New maps!!!! Read all about it

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

The first one is like hundred isles, but smaller. It has a really cool volcano image I got from NASA's website Earth Observatory.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=1379

The other one is a map I uploaded a few days ago. It's called Mountain Siege. There's big mountains, little fort things, a lake, and easily mined passes that tanks can travel on.

http://www.fileuniverse.com/?p=showitem&ID=1360

GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Holy shitballs! those look awesome!! keep up the good work!
Decimator

Post by Decimator »

Now having played on both these maps, I can say that I really liked Mountain siege and really disliked Island in the sun. I just felt rather metal starved when I played it. Mountain siege is a very kbotish map and really makes you think about where you're going to place defensive structures due to it's terrain. It's a very thought-intensive map and I like it that way.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

They do indeed look awesome :-)
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

mufdvr222 wrote:They do indeed look awesome :-)
I second that.
aGorm

Post by aGorm »

Mountain siege looks super, but you could have edited out the trees on the shaw on Island in the sun... they just look odd.

I got this feeling nobody will play my maps if you make more like these...

agorm
NOiZE
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by NOiZE »

Nice maps

and u even left build area on mountain siege great job, now i only want to play it with some ppl. hehe.

Als the metal distribution is nice, @ last not too much metal..

thumbs up keep them comming :D
Storm

Post by Storm »

Wicked cool !!
smartie
NOTA Developer

Post by smartie »

aGorm: I know what you mean about the old tree images on the volcano. That bothered me too. I'm not near good enough with photoshop (actually gimp) to edit something like that out though. It would have been nice to cover it up with palm trees if we had palm trees. The whole map could have used palm trees.

Concerning the metal on the map, well, I do prefer smaller amounts of metal. You just have to salvage and only work on one big project at a time. When I tested the map I played 2 player so I had about half the metal on the map to work with most of the time. Even then I had to gather wreakage to keep my economy going. One of the nice things about water maps is dead units will always sink so you can always get your metal back. If you are playing a large game, like with over 4 people, I can see how the lack of metal would be a big problem. I guess you just have to play skeeter boat wars for the first half hour :P
Redfish

Post by Redfish »

Now that we have photorealistic maps coming along, we might consider using photorealistic textures on units, since they look kinda out of place, and we need more tree models.

Return to “Map Creation”