So, about that mappers only forum. - Page 2

So, about that mappers only forum.

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

hunterw

Re: So, about that mappers only forum.

Post by hunterw »

mappers forum has like 1% of the posts and topics of this forum, just delete it
lurker

Post by lurker »

But what does that map look like when you're actually playing? I don't care what the minimap looks like.
Quanto042
Basically OTA Developer

Post by Quanto042 »

tbh, i have to side with lurker and zwzsg. I've produced plenty of small filesize maps that follow a tiling patern and the file size is definitively smaller than that of more "photorealistic" maps of similar screen size. You simply have to keep your textures simple and clutter free and the compiler will bring the size down without a loss in quality, and yes, the minimap will look like shit.

However at the same time, spring has rather nice in-engine lighting and I honestly don't even bake lighting onto my maps anymore for that reason.
BaNa

Post by BaNa »

I know this is getting hopelessly off-topic, but: IMO maps that tile enough for mapconv to do meaningful compression just trade off too much in looks for the smaller size.
Compare behs or arturis newer maps (or icexuicks older maps) with some of the older maps that tile 1 texture over and over again... In my eyes, the difference is worth the additional tens of megabytes. Once we get a map format that can do tex splattering we can talk about good looking and small maps. Till then there is an OR between those.
smoth

Post by smoth »

Quanto042 wrote:tbh, i have to side with lurker and zwzsg. I've produced plenty of small filesize maps that follow a tiling patern and the file size is definitively smaller than that of more "photorealistic" maps of similar screen size. You simply have to keep your textures simple and clutter free and the compiler will bring the size down without a loss in quality, and yes, the minimap will look like shit.
it isn't because of some magical tiling method, I promise you even those tiles get over used. The compiler is like REALLY shit jpeg compression. Sure if you have a map that is a few textures and set it to high compression AKA LOSS you will loose a lot of shit.

Guys, it is 2009 no one is on dailup. We have ample maps with SHIT textures, I promise you any of those maps are insta-deleted off my hard drive. Get over the damn filesize or give me sm3 >:}
Pxtl

Post by Pxtl »

Maps like the KP maps and ugly hacks like Castles show that the tiling engine succeeds in trivial cases, without corrupting the texture. The textures are ugly because they're overly-repeated, but they're what the mapper laid down. No jpeg-esque artifacts. The mapper got exactly what they designed, with low filesize.

Obviously it's doable, it's just that nobody wants to piece together a mess of puzzles of 32x32 tiles that would play nice with the tiler in such a way that it would look good and realistic too.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

lurker wrote:But what does that map look like when you're actually playing? I don't care what the minimap looks like.
Looks like that. The ingame minimap is pretty actually.

Anyway, as you can see discussion about tiling and mapsize leads to heated debate, with people getting angrier and angrier, until the point Forb request a forum where he won't have to hear about it.
smoth

Post by smoth »

as metal maps go I like it but try it with gundam I don't have all those ta textures that you didn't include so the features are covered by texture atlas :(
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, it was made from a time TA textures where always loaded, and I never got around to make a new release with better features. I figured that anyway it's a TA looking map (so it makes more sense to play it with TA mods that are more likely to have the textures), and when I play it with non-TA mods, instead of texture atlas you had I get some dull shaded grey, which actually doesn't look bad. This thread is going off topic, fast!
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol, this forum never stays on topic.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

AF wrote:Despite numerous requests I never got access even though I had maps on my machine Id built. Numerous threads went by where I had an answer but was powerless as I watched them all discuss to hell the problem.

As a result people just used this forum instead.
lol, I sent one message to forb without ever having spoken to him before and he added me as a user to the forum. I doubt he even knew of my crappy map.

Oh and I never posted there because by then I had figured out an answer to my question.
Beherith

Post by Beherith »

Hmm, now that emmanuels back, I might just move on over to the mappers only forum so that I can avoid what happened to smoths nice new map shots thread.

Return to “Map Creation”