Any News on New Map Format? - Page 2

Any News on New Map Format?

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

10053r

Post by 10053r »

Someone once fired a few shots in front of my gantry, and the coming out krogoth would get trapped and jam the factory. It's just way too easy to trap heavy units in craters right now, and the battlefront becomes too easily impassable.
Just make the terrain harder. We can do that now.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

"Someone once fired a few shots in front of my gantry, and the coming out krogoth would get trapped and jam the factory. It's just way too easy to trap heavy units in craters right now, and the battlefront becomes too easily impassable."
lol!
in seriousness i agree with you but now you map designers can! (although it would more sense if you made different heights different strengths, eg. the higher (mountains/hills) tougher than the lower (grassland, floodplains etc) though beaches should be the weakest (and therefore easiest to fortify :))
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Well, I love deformable terrain, how it looks, how it can slow down units, how it give a real sense of battlefield.

I'd have to set the map hardness pretty high if I want an immobile XTA krogoth to be still able to come out of the crater he's in after being fired until losing 90% hp. So high that regular fight won't deform the map visibly anymore.

I just wishes someone program it so only the original relief can block units, and so that modified relief can only slow down units.
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

I like it just the way it is. I think tanks *should* get stuck in holes after being fired upon. The bigger the explosion, the bigger the hole. That's why they get stuck in the first place.

Think of it this way; its a futuristic very heavy, very armored tank. A huge shell hits it/next to it, the tank takes minimal damage from the huge explosion because of its strength but the ground under it can't take that much punishment thus exploding and creating a huge crater. It's only natural that those beasts get stuck in those craters. Remember, real tanks get stuck in mud/holes also... that's why there are kbots :)
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

zwzsg wrote:I just wishes someone program it so only the original relief can block units, and so that modified relief can only slow down units.
Maybe explosion formed craters should have a limit on their slope, low enough to be climable slowly by all units.

Alternatively just give tanks and kbots more slope climing abilty, but at greatly reduced speed.
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

Maybe explosion formed craters should have a limit on their slope, low enough to be climable slowly by all units.
Totally Agree, crater like that : http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1695
are unplayable, only fun the first time, and not realistic at all.
Last edited by Torrasque on 15 Jul 2005, 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

thats what the olde olde spring had...lol it was funny weasel rushing someone by climbing the walls on CPIA :D :twisted:
munch

Post by munch »

zwzsg wrote:Someone once fired a few shots in front of my gantry, and the coming out krogoth would get trapped and jam the factory. It's just way too easy to trap heavy units in craters right now, and the battlefront becomes too easily impassable.
Same thing happens with regular factories too - really annoying if you get a crater in your build area =(

Munch
hrmph

Post by hrmph »

Torrasque that only happened because of eighty sum minds. Its not too likely in a real game ;)
PauloMorfeo

Post by PauloMorfeo »

zwzsg wrote:...
Could you quickly had someting so the map maker have more control over what terrain is passable and what is no? I'd like to make 45° ramps passable, and other part impassable, ...
That would somewhat beat the purpose of simulation... It's suposed to be a simulation game and when a unit can climb something it's because it is too steep and not because it is defined that it can't climb it that specific part of the map...

Although, thinking of it, there could be areas where the combination of steepness with the type of terrain could make an exception of unclimbable terrain... But i don't know how it could be done because there is diferent climbers. Tanks climb some things while k-Bots climb more.

Impassable terrain could be usefull, instead, to define lava maps and stuff. Although it would need something more because if not, you could just get a plane there and build stuff in it...

About the craters, they definetly should be increasingly hard to dig the further deep they got... That's how it works in reality, anyway...
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

Perhaps just increase the climbing ability of all units across the board by 20-30%?
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

There needs to be some sort of standard established. All TA maps, by standard, had 0 min wind and 3000 max wind (or something similar). All of them had 112 gravity. All of them had basically similar "steep" and "walkable" hills. For a time, it was good... mod makers knew that if they wanted to make a unit not be able to climb steep hills, they just changed its movementclass to something appropriate.

There needs to be a general consensus on what is a "standard" amount of ground hardness so that we know what to base our movementclasses around. 100 is clearly inadequate in most cases, and is much too easily abused. Otherwise, entire mods will be unable to be played on certain maps. Where's the fun in that?
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Actually in TA you "voided" an area of map you wanted to exclude units from traversing, I brought this up a while ago at sourceforge, it needs to be implemented in spring and could surely be achieved using the metal map, if spring could be made to recognise that when a certain colour,, say blue 255 is present, that terrain will be void to units.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=73 ... unc=browse
Torrasque

Post by Torrasque »

mudvr : In the new map format, we could make zone where we can set the hardness of that zone , and modifiers for the speed of kbot, tank and hovercraft. I don't know really how it work, and if the pathfinder take them in account, but perhaps setting those modifier to 0 will do the job.
mufdvr222

Post by mufdvr222 »

Yeah well I suppose if it achieves the same effect as voiding then good.

Return to “Map Creation”