Carrara (bryce?) help

Carrara (bryce?) help

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

ralphie

Carrara (bryce?) help

Post by ralphie »

OK, so my good ol' bucket fill textures are starting to look just a little dated, so I finally got around to learning how to use carrara. I've made a test map with an old height map, but it's turned out really blocky.

It looks nice at long range

but up close it kind of falls apart

I really have no idea what im doing with carrara, the only tuts I can find are ones I need to pay for (nothx). So my question to anyone that might know... is there anything in particular that's causing this? Maybe the height map being to small for the texture it's rendering (769 -> 6144), or just some obscure setting somewhere, or just not high enough render quality ("Full Raytracing" unselected, x1 AA)

I'm hoping to eliminate trial and error as the renders aren't particularly quick, so I figured i'd throw this out there before I start experimenting :P
SirArtturi

Re: Carrara (bryce?) help

Post by SirArtturi »

ralphie wrote:
I really have no idea what im doing with carrara, the only tuts I can find are ones I need to pay for (nothx). So my question to anyone that might know... is there anything in particular that's causing this? Maybe the height map being to small for the texture it's rendering (769 -> 6144), or just some obscure setting somewhere, or just not high enough render quality ("Full Raytracing" unselected, x1 AA)
I haven't faced this kind of problem but as you said... Scale the heightmap to same size as output texture... Or at least bigger.
hunterw

Post by hunterw »

i dunno 100%, but seems like if you're blowing up your heightmap to 10 times its original size you're gonna get big squares
aegis

Post by aegis »

depends on whether you use a smoothing technique?
ralphie

Post by ralphie »

bigger heightmap seems to of done the trick
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

It's on old problem caused by using an 8 bit heightmap. Png's are your friend :-)

It also has a lot to do with the way that the texturing is set up but meh, no point in me going into detail, smooth the heightmap will prolly fix it, if it doesn't, use png 16 bit.
CarRepairer
Cursed Zero-K Developer

Post by CarRepairer »

Your answer is in this post. It is lucky that I was browsing this forum, I haven't in a long time.

viewtopic.php?p=249214#p249214

Return to “Map Creation”