I am going to convert a few maps soon.

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

smoth

Post by smoth »

While I can appreciate that some people will give very positive responses... I know that some people are never going to be happy with my conversions. Others are going to be out right rude.

So here is my pre-emtive strike... If you have constructive critisism by all means say something. I have a math final monday so I have LOTS of idle CPU time and I am going to use it to convert a few of my favorite maps. Some of you will probably give me garbage or be upset because it is not EXACTLY like the old map. DON'T use it if you don't like it.

*intended as an atempt to remove the sparks to any possible flames*
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Smoths Conversions Post 8/5/2005
A Redstar unexpected strike for all the wrong reasons

Aha well your expecting flames but for all the wrong reasons!

You ahve a math final on friday?! Revise! Revise! Dont mess about with maps till your finals are done and dusted.

And you're pretty much asking for flames by saying that, giving several flames a spark.

*imagines zwzsg flaming because somethings wrong or choosing to help with conversions, either one or the other*

Well anyways I have to hand it to you, you got a spiffy way fo doing things here, good luck converting maps

That was an unusual response from Redstar

PS: Sorry for using you as an example zwzsg

*Alantai over and out*
smoth

Post by smoth »

actually Z and I are cool.
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Then constructive critiscism from him I predict and constructive critiscism there shall be!
Kickban

Post by Kickban »

I'm gonna to convert maps too soon. But i don't know which ones, so if you want to give me some job for my 'less than exploited' CPU, just pm me the maps you want be converted.
smoth

Post by smoth »

the Timblorian maps were sweet. i'd love to see them converted well.
smoth

Post by smoth »

how terribly vexing.

the compression for the maps is not very good. Been playing with the map trout farm.

NOT COOL STUFF. THe way the compression works alot of things get outright screwed in compression. Detail is just out the window.

Before you guys get on an editor we need a better compression algorithm. As you can see the one we currently have is not going to work when we start doing city maps and the like. even at .5 it still will have the garbled result. Sure we can do the uncompressed thing but who wants 30 meg maps.

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

0.5?
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

Before I make any comments, read my map request.

:P
smoth

Post by smoth »

[K.B.] Napalm Cobra wrote:0.5?
That is the compression setting. I use .5 because it is a VERY low number... in fact there really isn't a huge size difference between that and 0 compression

buggi-

I could probably bryce up something like that for you....

However. I have finals next week. After that I have a commision to do, then I finish off my gundam mod. Sorry. I can try to fit something *like* that in. I will need it for my gundam mod anyway. However it would be no minor undertaking. I will see what I can do but no promises.
[K.B.] Napalm Cobra

Post by [K.B.] Napalm Cobra »

I use...

mapconv -x 50 -n -50 -o target.sm2 -m mmap.bmp -a heightmap.raw -t texture.bmp

And I get no problems like the ones you're experiencing.
smoth

Post by smoth »

mapconv -x 200 -n -90 -m troutmetal.bmp -a troutbump.bmp -t trout.bmp -o outputfile.sm2 -c 0.5 -l -i

The compression is set by default at 0.8, 0.5 is actually a lower compression rate. and it still is garbled. I'll try the default. However, .8 actually an even higher compression. I'll give it a whirl... give me about 40 minutes.
smoth

Post by smoth »

ok, well that didn't take too long.

still garbled like I thought. I was thinking maybe the compression algorithm was just a bitoff when you adjusted it but it is in fact bad at even the default setting. With the compression option hidden the thing comes out about as garbled as the above picture.
Kickban

Post by Kickban »

Just test converted the map. Dunno what you did wrong, but in my version, it work good and textures are not garbage. Beside an heigh prb and the fact the ground have a 3D sand effect everywhere (must be a no homogene texture map prb), all is good.
Btw, if someone have a place to host my maps... don't have an homepage.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I can upload for you. I have fileplanet acess.

What map did you try and what were your settings?
Storm

Post by Storm »

Guys, you know all of you have upload access at http://www.fileuniverse.com? Yep. All of you. Just go and upload!
smoth

Post by smoth »

lol, forgot about that. yeah, dood upload your maps so my spring directory can grow fat with maps :)

Return to “Map Creation”