Spring Map Packs - Page 2

Spring Map Packs

Discuss maps & map creation - from concept to execution to the ever elusive release.

Moderator: Moderators

Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

LordMatt wrote:As for a mod pack, I wouldn't be the one to make such a thing since I would probably only include one mod. :twisted:
Well, then you won't cut in on my work.
smoth

Post by smoth »

I do not want gundam in a mod pack... just putting that out there.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

You could also make a high quality map pack. As in the ones that truly show off what the best that spring has to offer visually, most notably, smoths maps, lathans, icexuicks and mine. Pick the creme de la creme from the lot.

As for this lot, as someone already suggested riverglade would be a good addition, Deserted Gully would be abother good one, twilight canyons, Conqurers isle (either my remake or quanto's original - regardless, that map is the shit), it's porcy in TA mods except Fun:TA, but Centerrock gets my vote, Okiriver Remake, divided shores, evergreenhaven, metalheck (my redux - removes the retarded typemap), Arctic Plains (even tho the metal is quite low)...

Those are some that come to mind.

Also, I might mention a note to lathan... My heightmaps are not generated from scratch. I draw what I want in photoshop, then run it through l3dt to be redrawn in 32bit. I don't just press a button and crap out a map.

I think this is a pretty good idea matt. Good luck with it.
Foxomaniac

Post by Foxomaniac »

I'd remove centerrock if i was you, while it's a good map it desyncs like hotcakes.

>__>.
tombom

Post by tombom »

Foxomaniac wrote:I'd remove centerrock if i was you, while it's a good map it desyncs like hotcakes.

>__>.
Yeah, I think 0.73 completely broke it. I've tried playing about 6 games of it since then and everytime either a lot of people/host have crashed out or the game has desynced within 10 minutes
LathanStanley

Post by LathanStanley »

LordMatt wrote: I wanted to download and try pydah pass and foothills, but it appears cuppy spilled bong water on the download server, as it isn't working.
LULS!!!! :lol: :P
Forboding Angel wrote:Also, I might mention a note to lathan... My heightmaps are not generated from scratch. I draw what I want in photoshop, then run it through l3dt to be redrawn in 32bit. I don't just press a button and crap out a map.
I know I know.... but they are alot more generated than they are drawn in a way... its not a big deal, you underlay the main strategy and then let the program make it pretty...

whatever works if you ask me... it was just a way to make that maps I was talking about more understood...

no harm meant... :-)

anyways, the map packs are probably a good idea, I won't hold you back, and you are welcome to use any parts of mine you want to. :wink:
nico waller

Post by nico waller »

I had to register just to post this.

please make a map pack, it would be much appreciated by newbies like me. I'm trying to set up spring for a LAN I'm going to, and having to download the maps onto every computer individually would be a right pain.

The actual maps you include arent that important, if people play through the ten or so in a basic map pack, they will probably go off hunting for what they want anyway. Dont get bogged down in whether a particular map should be in or out, its not being made for the hardcore enthusiasts that already have it on their harddrives.

I would suggest a quick start map pack with a couple 1v1, 2v2 etc of each type, and try to keep the file size down as much as possible (maybe one massive map)

basically just pick a dozen maps everyone has heard of and will hold a newbie in good stead to improve their interest of the game and experience different batle types.

If you could have it up by friday that would be nice :)

many thanks

Nico
Erom

Post by Erom »

I think a mini-map-pack like that would be pretty sweet, with like 10 maps total, especially if you could convince the devs to link it to the download page here. I wouldn't worry about putting maps that get played a lot in it, either- if it's an official map pack, the maps will become played more frequently just because everyone would have them.
cong06

Post by cong06 »

hm. so is one going to be created? I could probably make a *.exe file myself if that's what we need...
vraa

Post by vraa »

I hope it's distributed on torrents as well. :)

Does anyone have a torrent for the massive map pack that was distributed not too long ago?
cong06

Post by cong06 »

The torrent is here:
http://spring.unknown-files.net/file/22 ... l_maps_UF/

If LordMatt updates his post, I can download all the maps he thinks are worthwhile and make an exe for him/spring.clan to host.

I'm actually thinking about creating my own package, but since I'm not as experienced with the maps, I was hoping more for an "unofficial-official" package.
cong06

Post by cong06 »

LathanStanley wrote:on a side note though, map packs aren't very favorable to players unless they fall into 2 categories:
1- are new, and want to get a HUGE chunk to start on,
2- have been around, and need to re-install them all...

that means 90-95% of the community isn't gonna care...
you forgot about:
3- are new, don't like the 2 maps that come with the game, and aren't in the community enough to know about/care about uknown files.

I've got a few friends like that, and if that's what it's got to take to include them in this game, then I'm going to do my best.
HeavyLancer

Post by HeavyLancer »

Just a little cross-promotion here:
I made a BA map/mod pack complete with installer, check it out here:

And the thread about it here:
http://spring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=10884

That runs in at ~150 Mb, with most of the commonly played maps.
Miykayl

Elevations Maps

Post by Miykayl »

The USGS has free Digital Elevation models of terrain for much of the planet, if not all.

I used these images long ago while experimenting with 3D Studio Max, to render realistic terrain├óÔé¼┬ª Wow├óÔé¼┬ª have we come a long way since then (NASA WorldWind, Google Earth, et al.)

These files were grayscale TIFFS. They could be resampled easily to create maps based on real topography├óÔé¼┬ª What├óÔé¼Ôäós more natural than that?

I├óÔé¼Ôäóve been out of the 3D modeling scene for a while. But there was this program called ├óÔé¼┼ôBryce├óÔé¼┬Ø that rendered really great landscapes. Perhaps a map could be made with a tool such as this, and an export tool then used to get the proper files out of the scene.

My point here (besides the one widely reported to be atop my head) is that I don├óÔé¼Ôäót think I├óÔé¼Ôäód find it easy to create realistic terrain with a brush. I├óÔé¼Ôäód like to see realistic water-carved valleys, and rivers, tectonically produced mountains, etc.

Uh, by the way├óÔé¼┬ª I├óÔé¼Ôäóm an old TA fan├óÔé¼┬ª Just discovered Spring a few weeks ago. What a great project├óÔé¼┬ª So great that it├óÔé¼Ôäós OSS. The Spring is our oyster.

I massive, colossal ├óÔé¼┼ôTHANK YOU├óÔé¼┬Ø to everyone involved in the project.

Most assuredly yours,

Miykayl
-Solo Dei Gloria
Drezil

Post by Drezil »

i searched a bit:
http://edc.usgs.gov/products/elevation/ ... opo30.html
the whole world (without the north pole) as 33 tiles in grayscale.
Neddie
Community Lead

Post by Neddie »

We have some maps based off of photographed terrain, feel free to make more!
Miykayl

Post by Miykayl »

I can see that higher resolution images are available (can't post links yet).

10m, 30m, and 2-arc second (60 or 70m I think)

There's also a really nice one of Crater lake, OR, that is rpetty easy to find searching on USGS.

Conversion tools look like they'll be easy enough, too.
Miykayl

OK, found some stuff that worked

Post by Miykayl »

On fountainware dot com
I found a program called DEM READER for Windows (deminst.exe) that will read DEM files and generate a bitmap.

It's not as cool as the tools I remember long ago. It does other things, but you can get a bitmap out of it.

It is -not- grayscale. But it's not hard to covnert to grayscale. Well, maybe it will be... Ug.

Pelase, if any of you folks find a decent tool to convert the DEM to grayscale raster, that would be great. I did find a tool for MAC.

Thanks.
Jirikisunta

Re: Spring Map Packs

Post by Jirikisunta »

I guess I'm missing something, but I didn't see a link(s) to a place to gather/download these packs...
Jazcash

Re: Spring Map Packs

Post by Jazcash »

Jirikisunta wrote:I guess I'm missing something, but I didn't see a link(s) to a place to gather/download these packs...
I think they were included in the installer long ago. Check how old this topic is. You sir, just bumped it.

Return to “Map Creation”