Units get confused what direction they're facing in FPS mode

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

To see what I mean, build a peeper and suddenly turn your camera facing 180 degrees behind you.. might take a few tries to make it work. What will happen is you will suddenly be looking the opposite directon to the way that the peeper is flying and it will continue that way. You'll have to steer in reverse... irritating when it happens by accident and you steer your unit into the invisible wall, causing the engine to delete it >.<
Buggi

Post by Buggi »

I LOVE flying with FPS... it's so sweet!! Yeah, the bugs in flying FPS are many.

I think it has to do with the engine maintaining turnradius and stuff like that.

I think if you FPS something you should be given more freedoms with it as it hinders your ability to manage other things at that time, so a little leeway here and there wouldn't hurt :)
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The trick is plane in FPS is that they turn slowly, and get lost if you turn 180° with the mouse without letting the plane follow. Turn slowly, checkin that the crosshair has time to catch up, and it'll work fine.
Caydr
Omnidouche

Post by Caydr »

True, but it could be fixed.

And planes don't necessarily turn all that slow in FPS mode. If you use the right combination of keyboard and mouse they can just about turn on a dime.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

I actually don't mind this; i think its a question of some-think-its-a-feature versus some-think-its-a-bug kinda deal.

The key to flying in FPS mode is to look at the lower left o the screen where you can see how the plane is oriented.

Since the mouse controls where the plane is going, when the plane in the lowerleft corner of the screen is flying straight ahead, then you know that the mouse and the front of the plane are lined up. If you turn it very sharply, you can see the plane's nose turning as far as it can go. that's pretty much it, but its a feature definitely useful in dogfights and such,
smoth

Post by smoth »

actualy I like the aircraft controlls up and down for pitch.. and left and right for roll.
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

This little 'bug' also allows to control planes with aft-firing weapons.

Return to “Engine”