Ok, this may seem like a lame request, but...

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Argh

Post by Argh »

Um, could we get a BeamLength tag for our beam weapons? I'm tired of every beam being the same length, even when I want to differentiate them to players... don't slug me, this is probably a real pain to code, I know...
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

LAME

Ok this shouldn't be hard indeed, if this isn't done when I have internet again, I'll do it.
Argh

Post by Argh »

Thanks :o I know it's a lame little putting-chrome-on-the-tank sort've thing (whatever that means) but it's one of the little touches that would be helpful in making things look just a wee bit better.
Acidd_UK

Post by Acidd_UK »

Chrome tank upgrade: +%20 armour vs lasers.
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

You could also use meshes for the lasers, so you have complete control. Just make the ambient setting maxed out (red channel of 2nd texture, I think). That way you can control length, width, brightness, yadda yadda yadda. :)
KDR_11k
Game Developer

Post by KDR_11k »

Yes but then they can't be semi-transparent.
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

KDR_11k wrote:Yes but then they can't be semi-transparent.
They're small enough that I don't notice any transparency, honestly.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

Using models is probably not very efficient though...
Vassago

Post by Vassago »

jcnossen wrote:Using models is probably not very efficient though...
How so? A "particle" beam is still 2-4 triangles or more, depending on if it's double sided or not.

The only downside is what KDR said, no transparency on the models. Weaksauce.....
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

and the fact that weapons that use projectiles function differently in spring.. thus making the whole just use a model moot..

Teh projectile physics and teh laser physics = not the same.. zomygosh..
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

There's no difference between a laser and a lineofsight projectile, game mechanics-wise. The difference is in the rendering. A beamlaser is a different matter.

Btw, I thought "duration" was affecting beam length?

Also, as we're on the subject of improving lasers, maybe add a function so that the "beam chunk" of the laser projectile doesn't disappear instantly on hit, but kinda continues flying into the impact point until it disappears?
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

For that just use normal lasers that fire fast, so that the shots overlap.
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

it looks strange when they start aiming at moving units.

and spring doesn't read the duration tag.
Fanger
Expand & Exterminate Developer

Post by Fanger »

Look why do we have to make our own projectiles to mimic something that could be set up in the engine.. hrm.. I ask you..? why.. why even have the laser setup if we can just do that with models..
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Lasers were done with models in SWTA for OTA. The reason we have a separate definition of a laser is because of its rendering that consists of several triangles stretched between the laser's startpoint and endpoint. I don't think there is any better way of doing it, but the laser could use some spice too, like a whiteish middle as a 'hotter' area, not just a solid block of light. And as I said, the non-instant lasers could use some 'fade-out' when they hit, seeing a lengthy green stick just *poof* disappear on contact with the ground isn't as good as it could be.

Also, how about non-instanthit beamlasers? Something like an invisible projectile having "beamtrail". Then we could have some wicked guided beamlasers. :D :P

Return to “Engine”