Please...

Please...

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

SpikedHelmet
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Please...

Post by SpikedHelmet »

Include the following, if possible:

Control ALL FBI tags via script - ie, set speed, change health, change weapons, etc etc.

Ability (somehow) to remove the silly nano... most mods out there have nothing to do with nanolathing technology (ie, a German field engineer nanoing a PaK 39?!?!)..
AF
AI Developer

Post by AF »

Or at least the ability to define the nanospray particle bitmaps (might be faster they look like pure particles not the smoke type particles making them slower), or at least the colour..
mongus

Post by mongus »

isnt controlling all via script too open to abuse? (as letting ais cheat)?
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

no, its not. AIs can't change the .cob files.
Gnomre
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Gnomre »

I think the problem they've said before is that most unit stats aren't stored for each unit--they're cached for each unit type (armsam, corsilo, etc) before the game starts. Therefore changing the stat on one would change it on ALL armsams or corsilos.

That's how I understood it, at least.

Of course, I'd certainly like to see it be more open-ended as well.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

yes that's true
Sean Mirrsen

Post by Sean Mirrsen »

Even if it's true, it's easily fixable since the UnitLoader passes many relevant parameters to the individual units, you just have to set up the needed variables and add some lines into UnitLoader to account for them. The actual changing of the variables and making them affect unit behavior (I learned that the staticness of TA has infiltrated the entire engine, and most things are read from unitdefs and other global sources) in the needed way is what is hardest about this. Some parameters will still be unchangeable though, like pathfinding-related stuff and weapons.
jcnossen
Former Engine Dev

Post by jcnossen »

It's still an awful lot of work to do it in a non hacked way though, not what I would call easily fixable. UnitDef is used in the CUnit classes, in CMoveType, in the weapon code and in the weapon projectile/particle code. So basically everywhere in the simulation code.

IMO, you're probably better off abstracting this whole thing by creating a IUnit class, and then implement a new improved unit system in LUA or squirrel or another language next to it. That way you won't be breaking a lot of the existing behavior (which WILL happen), and you've got a new unit system which is truely scriptable and usable for a very long time.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

Do the LUA thing, and thou shall feel love from the community :wink:
Felix the Cat

Post by Felix the Cat »

You should do this.

Make it mod-definable and customizable.
Last edited by Felix the Cat on 05 Jul 2006, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tobi
Spring Developer

Post by Tobi »

Somehow I doubt that motivates people.
Argh

Post by Argh »

<chuckles> :roll:
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Gnome wrote:I think the problem they've said before is that most unit stats aren't stored for each unit--they're cached for each unit type (armsam, corsilo, etc) before the game starts. Therefore changing the stat on one would change it on ALL armsams or corsilos.

That's how I understood it, at least.

Of course, I'd certainly like to see it be more open-ended as well.
So allow a unit to change which FBI it's calling on the fly.

[edit] new scripting language talk. I like it!

Return to “Engine”