Suggestion for the 'right click & drag' feature

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

TradeMark

Post by TradeMark »

Im talking about the ordering units into specific shape.

The arrow height should be graded, (just like the mass building feature is graded, you cant even try to build 100 buildings in small area, only few).

And also it would be good to show the lines where the units will go.

Its really easy to make, just some math for the thing which says how large the arrow is.

This is sample image how it would look like:
Those white lines are the places where the units will be arranged.

Edit: explained more about 'grading'
Last edited by TradeMark on 29 May 2006, 17:40, edited 3 times in total.
espylaub

Post by espylaub »

I love the feature itself, with the exception of the fact that the units will all change positions if you give 2 of these orders in succession. Instead of just marching in a straight line they walk all over the place and bunch up. Maybe a feature to think about.
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

espylaub wrote:I love the feature itself, with the exception of the fact that the units will all change positions if you give 2 of these orders in succession. Instead of just marching in a straight line they walk all over the place and bunch up. Maybe a feature to think about.
yes, but however if they are properly lined up, and then given another line-move order in front of them they will more often than not go in a straight line forward.

Really good idea btw. You seem to be much more active than the actual devs color :-) (at least with small things)
Nemo
Spring 1944 Developer

Post by Nemo »

Comp1337 wrote: You seem to be much more active than the actual devs color :-) (at least with small things)
Heh. The changelog thinks otherwise:
http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/taspring- ... ngelog.txt
Comp1337

Post by Comp1337 »

ok, i retract my statement.
Aun

Post by Aun »

It'd be great if you could change the spacing of units like you can with a line of buildings, as some big units (Gollies, for example) just get stuck and move out of line.
Das Bruce

Post by Das Bruce »

It'd be nice if they also pointed in the direction of the arrow when they got there and didn't push each other out the way.
FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

If you set the simple formation AI onto a whole b unch of units and then right click and drag them you get ghosts of the units. Setting it up like that would be optimal...
Zoombie

Post by Zoombie »

If there was a way to make units not push eachother out of the way, I would love it.

Lines make or break an EE battle, at least as the GD. That and, well, you know. Tactics.
Min3mat

Post by Min3mat »

well i think that units shouldn't mess up when given 2 line orders (Obviously it still helps ENOMROUSLY) but its quite unpretty, and not 100% effective :)
EXit_W0und

curved line formation

Post by EXit_W0und »

I like this idea, I have another addition for once you're happy with this:
you could maybe have a curved line formation for if you want a group of units to surround a point in a claw formation, or perhaps like a spear head. It could be a realtively simple way of adding new formations, just by adjusting how sharp the curve is, and in which direction. Any thoughts?
Argh

Post by Argh »

The main problems with all of this are two:

1. The pathfinding to get units into nice, neat rows doesn't work well at all.

2. Once in a line, it'd be really, really nice if you could take that same group and force them to stay at the same speed while moving, so that you could move lines around the battlefield. Or better yet, have a Group formed into a line automatically default to such behavior the next time they're moved, so that users aren't having to constantly fuss with them- once formed into a line or a box, they'd stay that way so long as the Group exists. That'd be very helpful for certain kinds of mod...
Egarwaen

Post by Egarwaen »

Argh wrote:2. Once in a line, it'd be really, really nice if you could take that same group and force them to stay at the same speed while moving, so that you could move lines around the battlefield. (...) That'd be very helpful for certain kinds of mod...
Like any mods that have units that move at different speeds?
Argh

Post by Argh »

Pretty much, yeah. But especially for mods designed around formation combat. Short of having pre-built GroupAIs and better pathing algorithms, this is a pretty big deal.

Return to “Engine”