Water rendering - Page 3

Water rendering

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

FireCrack

Post by FireCrack »

Hmmm... will subs look like they're underwater now?
Rusher

Post by Rusher »

Impressive! Spring just keeps looking better and better, damn I cant wait till ships shooting ripple water like that picture :P
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

Warlord Zsinj wrote:Another potential solution is to run the ship displacement seperately to the water rendering, so that if an explosion hit near a ship, both players would see the ship bob up and down; but only the player with the distorted water will see the water as pushing that ship up and down.
that would like very weird on the non water suporting guy, watching the ships going back and fourth without anything else doing it as well.
Rusher

Post by Rusher »

I think ships rocking isn't so much of a need but the rest is more doable and would look so crazy. I dont think anyone would be asking for more... for a while :P

I wouldnt mind them making water wreckage more easy to pass either.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

Water Wreckage is NON PASSABLE... I have done tests... other's have aswell... I made a topic about it http://taspring.clan-sy.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=4014 ... this would be my priority for fixing... also... a lot of people wanted the water line to go up and down... that would be nice too... bobbing ships and such...
Last edited by SinbadEV on 11 Mar 2006, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Warlord Zsinj
Imperial Winter Developer

Post by Warlord Zsinj »

If the radius in which ships are displaced from the epicentre of the explosion is not too far, then there will be no major issue; players will see an explosion near their ship (and remember, there is a 'water splash' animation on non-water rendering), and the ships in that area will move up and down, and perhaps sway to the side a little. It would make sense to someone not using the rendering type; and it will look much better for the players using the advanced water rendering.
GrOuNd_ZeRo

Post by GrOuNd_ZeRo »

Heh, I personally would also like support for huge fireballs on ships, tanks, etc., I have been asking for this for a long time, it looks awesome c'mon SJ, you know you want it! just imagine bulldogs having fireballish muzzleflares every time they shoot and have your warlord have nice Iowa-Class fireballs shooting out of it distorting/rippling the water...that would be the sweetness.
submarine
AI Developer

Post by submarine »

i know its a little bit off topic, but naval combats are highly affected by this torpedo bug nobody is trying to fix atm
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

well i rest my case when i told in the news section i dont play water maps till next version(lol). water atm as ive already said is highly unbalanced
shnorb

Post by shnorb »

wow! absolutely amazing... and the foam appearing then fading away quickly was just the icing on the cake! id have to agree with others on the boat swaying issue. i doubt that i will be enabling the water effect myself but would still like to see the boats sway to explosions and stuff...
SJ

Post by SJ »

The good news is that I have now gotten it to work somewhat with ships as can be seen here. The bad is that I get around 24 fps (with shadows etc) on my gf6600gt (the entire thing is completly done on gpu so cpu affects it very little) so it will probably need something faster to run well.
BvDorp

Post by BvDorp »

Dude.. there must be another way :s
patmo98

Post by patmo98 »

submarine wrote:i know its a little bit off topic, but naval combats are highly affected by this torpedo bug nobody is trying to fix atm
People are working on fixing it, but you won't see any fixes until the next revition is released.
Chocapic

Post by Chocapic »

that water is just outstanding, its just incredibly real!
Doxs

Post by Doxs »

SJ wrote:The good news is that I have now gotten it to work somewhat with ships as can be seen here. The bad is that I get around 24 fps (with shadows etc) on my gf6600gt (the entire thing is completly done on gpu so cpu affects it very little) so it will probably need something faster to run well.
I must still say that it looks really nice!

If you cant get it to run faster, well, thats tough, but more eyecandy requires more processing power.

Now, bear in mind that what Im about to say is most likely not feasible at the moment due to the excessive processing power required, but atleast its a funny thought.

Now, just out of curiosity, can waves be made by high winds as well?

I think it would add alot of life to the water maps, then on the other hand, I can also imagine that it would be prohibitively tough on the hardware :shock:

The ultimate water effect would be to have this activated, waves created by the wind and having floating objects get affected by waves.
That would give naval battles a whole new dimension, and we could finally get realistic wave generators instead of the silly round ones we have today! Now theres a shallenge for you :wink:
Weaver

Post by Weaver »

The waves look good, but the size and speed of them suggests a much smaller scale for units than is generally accepted.
Interesting link:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_wave
SwiftSpear
Classic Community Lead

Post by SwiftSpear »

Weaver wrote:The waves look good, but the size and speed of them suggests a much smaller scale for units than is generally accepted.
Interesting link:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_surface_wave
Ocean waves only break as they approach shore. You are right though, the scale seems a little funny. It's like dipping your finger into a pond when we're supposed to be dealing with MASSIVE hulking structures.
SinbadEV

Post by SinbadEV »

I think the battle is supposed to be much slower then the acctual gameplay suggests... battles taking days instead of hours... so the speed of the water... ah whhatever... I'm just making excuses...
Doomweaver

Post by Doomweaver »

HOLY F*CK. This is best damn shader ever invented. It will be interesting to see how it looks with ships that aren't bopping up and down, if it doesn't look good then maybe you can create an option for high end users to restrict the battle room to people who have it enabled then you could implement the bopping.
Dragon45

Post by Dragon45 »

SJ: Neds moar optimization!

;)

I agree, it woudl be cool to see wind affect waves and waves actually affect units; some mods, to simulate "bobbing", use script hacks; to integrate it with the environment (via a bobwithwaves=1 tag or something) would make it look cleaner and would add a level nice detail- like CAP's wavy trees.

Return to “Engine”