Spectator delay

Spectator delay

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

tzaeru

Spectator delay

Post by tzaeru » 16 Feb 2018, 16:00

Hi,

it'd be cool if the engine could support spectator delay, i.e. having spectator gamestate lag a little behind from the players' gamestate. This could be configurable as a modoption. The primary motivation would be making spectator cheating less viable.

I could look into adding this myself if you guys think it's feasible given the current architehture of the engine.
0 x

ThinkSome

Re: Spectator delay

Post by ThinkSome » 16 Feb 2018, 18:59

How about removing the ability to spectate altogether by refusing non-player connections?
0 x

Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot » 16 Feb 2018, 19:45

AllowSpectatorJoin already exists to block unauthenticated late-to-the-party clients.

Artificially delaying packets by a few minutes is easy, you just have to find something for specs to do on startup (blackjack and hookers?) until at least <delay> amount of game time has passed.
1 x

tzaeru

Post by tzaeru » 16 Feb 2018, 21:46

Kloot wrote:AllowSpectatorJoin already exists to block unauthenticated late-to-the-party clients.

Artificially delaying packets by a few minutes is easy, you just have to find something for specs to do on startup (blackjack and hookers?) until at least <delay> amount of game time has passed.
Yeah, was figuring that it might be as easy as just adding a delay to some specific function that handles sending the old game state to specs. Need to dig into the code at some point, see if I can find something. Pointers would be much welcomed too, if anyone can give such.

Chatting, I suppose, is a bit tougher. It'd be good if spectator messages were still "real time", but how that would be handled, I don't know. But I'm sure something can be figured out.
0 x

Senethril

Post by Senethril » 29 Mar 2018, 13:09

The most simple way to do it wihtout any change in the engine and hosts, wait the usage of a bot named bow by interested hosters, do not allow spec for tourney and show the replay on a live after a certain amount...the code is still developping but put in standby for one or 2 months due to activities and priorities, should be out this summer,if you dont understand see forum and bow

:wink:
0 x

jamerlan
Balanced Annihilation Developer

Post by jamerlan » 29 Mar 2018, 21:29

Some games are more dynamic then others.
For example, if you delay a "BA + DSD" for 3 mins - nothing will be changed. You can still "spec cheat" base locations, intentions etc. But you will significantly reduce the amount of pleasure for spectators.
(my opinion on this topic)
2 x

Senethril

Post by Senethril » 13 Apr 2018, 23:54

Yeah its right but stream tend to be exhaustive content and multiply easily so at least there should be a delay a little bit more for tourneys or completly.
0 x

Return to “Engine”