Dev meeting minutes 2017-07-07: Discord and lobby chat

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

WRT discord, from the spring dev side you guys might not have seen a ton of usefulness, but to us (at least some of us) gamedevs it has become an invaluable tool for communication and community management.

There was some discussion as to whether spring should be cut off completely, but at the same time, you have to admit that spring's chat channels are incredibly subpar. If they were integrated with REAL irc that would be one thing, but they are their own odd little protocol. Spring is an extremely small community and we need to take advantage of excellent communication tools as much as possible.

I think that the solution that you came to was the right one, because otherwise you risk forcing myself and others into picking a side, and I'm always going to side with my little community that I have painstakingly built, because I happen to care about the people in it. Most of them are high school kids around the world and are great people. In my little community they have found and made friends. This is more important than some silly argument over a TOS that is obviously meant to cover the asses of a company.

That said, is it impossible to have spring chat channels use irc instead of lobby protocol? This would ofc cause some interesting (and potentially not awesome) things when you consider battle chat, IDD. I feel like this question has been breached multiple times over the past 12 years and put to bed repeatedly. That said, I can only vaguely remember discussions about it.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Dev meeting minutes 2017-07-07: Discord and lobby chat

Post by abma »

i don't understand what you wrote. There exists an irc bridge which basicly allows full integration / interacting inside the lobby which seems to cover all your wishes:
https://springrts.com/wiki/IrcBridge

for the curious: why a new thread? are permissions in the meeting subforum?
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

That is incorrect though. It's a bridge much like the discord bot is a bridge. It's just a relay back and forth.

It doesn't allow you to perform IRC actions with people only in the spring chat channel, you can't see who is in the chat channel, only the ones in IRC, etc. Same goes for the other way around as well.

My point was that an IRC relay is nice, but it would be much nicer if it was literally IRC instead of some stripped down imitation of it.
Abma wrote:for the curious: why a new thread? are permissions in the meeting subforum?
I have some permissions in various subforums due to weird phpbb groupings, so I wasn't sure if it was an open forum or I just happened to have post permissions due to oversight.
Last edited by Forboding Angel on 10 Jul 2017, 07:44, edited 1 time in total.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Forboding Angel wrote:That is incorrect though. It's a bridge much like the discord bot is a bridge. It's just a relay back and forth.

It doesn't allow you to perform IRC actions with people only in the spring chat channel, you can't see who is in the chat channel, only the ones in IRC, etc. Same goes for the other way around as well.
NO! you see all users online. just checkout https://springrts.com/webchat/ this is using the irc bridge.
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

abma wrote:
Forboding Angel wrote:That is incorrect though. It's a bridge much like the discord bot is a bridge. It's just a relay back and forth.

NO! you see all users online. just checkout https://springrts.com/webchat/ this is using the irc bridge.
You are mistaken:
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

hu?

on the screenshot there are different channels? thats exactly how it should be! not all users are in all channels!
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Right you are, I mistakenly thought that it would join SY by default (that's what the old one used to do). I didn't pay attention to the login closely enough.

That's nifty, and PM's even seem to function.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

Yeah, I've been using the IRC bridge for years, and I see from my IRC client the list of people even if they use a spring lobby client.
And once in a while, I get the odd private message inviting me to join a BA 12v12 DSD.

However! There's also:
- a bridge between spring's server #sy and quakenet #sy
- a bridge between Zero-k server and Spring server
And those merely relay chat messages back and forth, not the user list or other IRC features.

Hence why from irc.quakenet.org #sy I see:
<+MelBot> <Nightwatch> <hokomoko#5048> ohnoes

But from irc.springrts.com #moddev I see people directly!

Return to “Engine”