Battalions and Hero Select Button possible?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Joragon

Post by Joragon »

Hi,

I'm new in this forum and I'm looking for an engine for an RTS game.
I played a few Spring games and think that the Spring engine could be the right one for me.

I don't really now how the engine works but it's important for my decision if it was possible to create battalions (about 15 units per battalion) like in Battle for Middle Earth or Total War and if I can create Buttons where I can see and select all my heroes like in Battle for Middle Earth or Warcraft III etc.
http://pad2.whstatic.com/images/thumb/3 ... Step-6.jpg

I would be glad to get a reply to that question.

Greetings
Joragon

PS: Sorry for my bad English knowledge, I'm a German ^^
FLOZi
MC: Legacy & Spring 1944 Developer

Re: Battalions and Hero Select Button possible?

Post by FLOZi »

Both are possible via lua, but you will have to write them yourself (there is an existing library for creating UI windows & buttons).

Units acting as a single unit in a batallion will be tricky to make work perfectly due to how it will interact with the pathfinder, it depends how rigidly you want them to remain in formation.
zwzsg
Kernel Panic Co-Developer

Post by zwzsg »

The engine does not provide these functionalities by default, but it has been done already, with a couple Lua scripts.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

Have rigid formations been done? It's quite different from custom formations widget, would love to see it if it has been!
Anarchid

Post by Anarchid »

Cuberor's finest comes to mind.
FLOZi

Post by FLOZi »

A quick forum search suggests possibly, guilty of not playing it but I would guess it is based on his squad code used in THIS? Which is 'follow the leaders orders', rather than 'remain in formation whilst moving'? Pure conjecture on my part though.

edit: nvm yeah looks to have true formations

https://github.com/David-Becker/mods/bl ... locals.lua

I've been messing around using SetUnitMoveGoal and rawMove but kdr11k just issued Move commands. Not sure if that will result in some potential network-lag issues as commands have to traverse the network? I was hoping rawMove might help avoid conflicts with the pathfinder too but I have only a loose concept of what it does.

edit: 'Read kdr, for he is master of us all'

https://github.com/David-Becker/mods/bl ... ls.lua#L39

Return to “Engine”