Experimental Visual Studio Libraries for 2015 is up.

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

I compile the majority of the libraries for visual studio 2015. It's here.
Please post any issues/feedback on this thread and please be polite about it.

Known issues:
  • [*]the cmake file from 100.1 branch can't seemed to find the files located in the newly created vclib folder.
  • Use of internal spring SDL prevents compiling when using visual studio
Last edited by Super Mario on 14 Aug 2015, 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
abma
Spring Developer

Re: Experimental Visual Studio Libraries for 2015 is up.

Post by abma »

Super Mario wrote:Please post any issues/feedback on this thread and please be polite about it.
imo the files should be moved into the same file structure as for mingwlibs: that means to merge all include/lib/bin/dll dirs.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma wrote:
Super Mario wrote:Please post any issues/feedback on this thread and please be polite about it.
imo the files should be moved into the same file structure as for mingwlibs: that means to merge all include/lib/bin/dll dirs.
Ok, but the current cmake file doesn't reflect this for vc, only for mingw.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Super Mario wrote:Ok, but the current cmake file doesn't reflect this for vc, only for mingw.
removing this from the cmakefiles should be quiet easy. as it works with mingwlibs the same code should find the files, when the file structure of vclibs is the same.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

The latest glew library that I had downloaded doesn't have the glext.h file in the header file. Which version of glew is it?
Do I need to download specifically version of the library for other libraries as well or do I can just use the latest one.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

if i understood it correctly, glext.h is an opengl header: https://www.opengl.org/registry/

so easiest should be to use the file from https://github.com/spring/mingwlibs/blo ... GL/glext.h
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

FFS why is it calling it's own internal sdl files instead of the files that I have provided in the vc folder?
Last edited by Super Mario on 14 Aug 2015, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Line of code in question

Code: Select all

/* Make sure that this isn't included by Visual C++ */
#ifdef _MSC_VER
#error You should run hg revert SDL_config.h 
#endif
That's part of the internal sdl files. It throws a wrench at the operations like no tomorrow.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

does compile work when compiling the target spring only? (which doesn't compile spring-headless/spring-dedicated)

is sdl detected probably?

also, whats the error message? more verbose info would be useful...
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma wrote:does compile work when compiling the target spring only? (which doesn't compile spring-headless/spring-dedicated)
No. However some of it can be easily fix though by editing spring files.
is sdl detected probably?
It been detected at cmake configure, yet SOMEHOW it lost track of that and uses it's internal SDL.
also, whats the error message? more verbose info would be useful...
It's multiple error messages. One of which I had write the

add_definitions(-D_SILENCE_STDEXT_HASH_DEPRECATION_WARNINGS)
So it will shut up about it, until it's been replace by c++11 header equivalent.

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line
Error	C1189	#error:  You should run hg revert SDL_config.h	engineaGui	c:\users\alex\desktop\spring-master\spring\include\sdl2\SDL_config.h	37
Error	C1189	#error:  You should run hg revert SDL_config.h	engineaGui	c:\users\alex\desktop\spring-master\spring\include\sdl2\SDL_config.h	37
Error	C1189	#error:  You should run hg revert SDL_config.h	unitsync	c:\users\alex\desktop\spring-master\spring\include\sdl2\SDL_config.h	37
Error	C2259	'AAirMoveType': cannot instantiate abstract class	engineSim	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Sim\MoveTypes\AAirMoveType.cpp	15
Error	C2259	'AMoveType': cannot instantiate abstract class	engineSim	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Sim\MoveTypes\MoveType.cpp	16
Error	C2085	'APIENTRY': not in formal parameter list	headlessStubs	C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\GL\gl.h	1157
Error	C2259	'CExpGenSpawnable': cannot instantiate abstract class	engineSim	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Sim\Projectiles\ExplosionGenerator.cpp	41
Error	C2259	'CReadMap': cannot instantiate abstract class	engine-legacy	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Map\ReadMap.cpp	66
Error	C4716	'CriticalSection::try_lock': must return a value	engine-legacy	c:\users\alex\desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\system\threading\criticalsection.cpp	27
Error	C4716	'CriticalSection::try_lock': must return a value	unitsync	c:\users\alex\desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\system\threading\criticalsection.cpp	27
Error	C2259	'CWaitCommandsAI::Wait': cannot instantiate abstract class	engine-legacy	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Game\WaitCommandsAI.cpp	42
Error	C2259	'IExplosionGenerator': cannot instantiate abstract class	engineSim	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Sim\Projectiles\ExplosionGenerator.cpp	44
Error	C2718	'Threading::AtomicCounterInt64': actual parameter with requested alignment of 8 won't be aligned	lua	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\lib\lua\include\LuaUser.cpp	193
Error	C1083	Cannot open include file: 'ft2build.h': No such file or directory	engine-legacy	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Rendering\Fonts\CFontTexture.cpp	14
Error	C2124	divide or mod by zero	streflop	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\lib\streflop\SMath.cpp	9
Error	C2054	expected '(' to follow 'WINGDIAPI'	headlessStubs	C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\Include\um\GL\gl.h	1157
Error	C2131	expression did not evaluate to a constant	engine-legacy	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\System\FileSystem\RapidHandler.cpp	52
Error	C2131	expression did not evaluate to a constant	unitsync	C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\System\FileSystem\RapidHandler.cpp	52
Error	C2338	va_start argument must not have reference type and must not be parenthesized (compiling source file C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\Rendering\Fonts\glFont.cpp)	engine-legacy	C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\vadefs.h	145

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma would it be better for me to fork the engine in order to make drastic changes in order for it to compile or are we going to wait around until we receive word from jk on the SDL situation?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Super Mario wrote:abma would it be better for me to fork the engine in order to make drastic changes in order for it to compile or are we going to wait around until we receive word from jk on the SDL situation?
i don't see this happen soon. is a engine change really required? imo only a tiny change in the cmake files (if at all) is needed to change include dir(s) for vs.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma wrote:
Super Mario wrote:abma would it be better for me to fork the engine in order to make drastic changes in order for it to compile or are we going to wait around until we receive word from jk on the SDL situation?
i don't see this happen soon. is a engine change really required? imo only a tiny change in the cmake files (if at all) is needed to change include dir(s) for vs.
I had edit one of the cmake files to accept msvc for unitsyc to compile, now I'm working on the others.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

What am I suppose to do with the "divide by zero error" made by streflop?
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

Super Mario wrote:What am I suppose to do with the "divide by zero error" made by streflop?
More info is required, when do they happen? where?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

hidden in the compile log:
Error C2124 divide or mod by zero streflop C:\Users\Alex\Desktop\spring-master\spring\rts\lib\streflop\SMath.cpp 9
Kloot
Spring Developer

Post by Kloot »

MSVC builds won't sync anyway --> no point in compiling streflop --> build Spring without it or forcibly ignore the warnings.
hokomoko
Spring Developer

Post by hokomoko »

btw, why?
I think it should be possible (with lots of work I guess) to make them sync, since floating point is done in the CPU.
Or do you think optimisations may be an unsolvable issue?
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

How am I suppose to exclude streflop? Do I needed to modify it's cmake file?

Return to “Engine”