Which c++ features are required to compile with VS 2013?

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

abma wrote:first of all, from this page:
Currently Visual Studio lacks some c++ features it doesn't compile spring!
so be warned: maybe its not possible to fix it in a way the changes can be merged back to "official spring".

what errors do you get, did you follow the instructions from https://springrts.com/wiki/Building_Spr ... _.28v11.29 ?
Would helpful if you specify on what features that you about. IIRC 2013 supports c+11

split from viewtopic.php?f=12&t=33247
next time, please stay on topic. its pretty unfair to the creator of the thread. -- abma
gajop

Re: spring & visual studio

Post by gajop »

Super Mario wrote:Would helpful if you specify on what features that you about. IIRC 2013 supports c+11
That comment is old, it might ( :?: ) work on newer VS now. An enthusiastic VS user might want to update it.
PS: I'm going to have to ask you not to remove warnings from the wiki that are meant to help guide newbie users. You are not an experienced Spring dev (yet ;))
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

gajop wrote:
Super Mario wrote:Would helpful if you specify on what features that you about. IIRC 2013 supports c+11
That comment is old, it might ( :?: ) work on newer VS now. An enthusiastic VS user might want to update it.
PS: I'm going to have to ask you not to remove warnings from the wiki that are meant to help guide newbie users. You are not an experienced Spring dev (yet ;))
I didn't remove the warning. I just commenting on the fact that it's a bit vague on what features it's referring too.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

you did remove a warning meant to help newbie developers: https://springrts.com/mediawiki/index.p ... ldid=29080
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Silentwings wrote:you did remove a warning meant to help newbie developers: https://springrts.com/mediawiki/index.p ... ldid=29080
"you remove x warnning"
"I did not remove x warning"
"you did remove y warning though"

Talk about shifting goal post.

Edit: If we going to open this can of worms...
The reason on why I remove certain warnings, it's because they're not "warnings" they are just a bunch of subjective opinions supported with no strong evidence.
Setting up a build environment takes a lot more time on windows
Compiling is often slower on windows
How can you look at this and tell me this isn't subjective? Even we were to assume that there statements were true, it doesn't tell the newbie how exactly fast and slow is. Besides this would discourage them to develop on windows rather than encourage them.
Last edited by Super Mario on 11 Mar 2015, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

removing warning from wiki ... shifting goal post ...
I didn't realise there was any ambiguity in what gajop asked. Removing that warning was your only contribution to the wiki (ever!) so I think you could have figured it out too.

Return to “Engine”