I want to implement the us of astc texture compression

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

enetheru

Post by enetheru »

It is fairly new I understand mostly supported by mobile platforms, but is a standard part of opengl from 3.3 onwards i believe.

Is there any initial support from existing developers that if I code up the tools to compile smt's holding astc compressed tiles and the engine side code, with etc1 recompress faallback that I have a fair chance of of getting it merged?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_S ... ompression
"ASTC was adopted as an official extension for both OpenGL and OpenGL ES by the Khronos Group on 6 August 2012"
https://www.khronos.org/registry/gles/e ... n_astc.txt
Tim Blokdijk

Re: I want to implement the us of astc texture compression

Post by Tim Blokdijk »

enetheru wrote:compile smt's holding astc compressed tiles and the engine side code, with etc1 recompress faallback
I presume that means add support for a new texture format while preserving the existing supported format(s)?
I'm not coding the engine but as nobody replied, I suspect it would be merged if you code it in a clean way.
jK
Spring Developer

Post by jK »

it's waste of time:
1. there are less open source (gpl-compatible) astc/etc compressors available
2. none desktop gpu implements astc nor etc2 in hw (causing a massive drop in fps and increase of vram usage)
3. the available etc2 compressors don't support ETC2_ALPHA_PASSTHROUGH, means no alpha available -> no voidground
enetheru

Post by enetheru »

jK wrote:it's waste of time:
1. there are less open source (gpl-compatible) astc/etc compressors available
2. none desktop gpu implements astc nor etc2 in hw (causing a massive drop in fps and increase of vram usage)
3. the available etc2 compressors don't support ETC2_ALPHA_PASSTHROUGH, means no alpha available -> no voidground
I'll address these points regardless of the fact that I agree at this point in time.

"its a waste of time" - You must not mean its a waste my time, because thats not really for anyone else to decide but myself. I'll continue on the basis that it's a waste of other spring developers time due to code review, QA etc.

1. Thats obviously something I would need to resolve in order to make it work, not really a show stopper, more like a sub challenge. having the compressor GPL isnt really a problem though since it doesnt need to be part of the engine and is an offline tool for compressing SMT files.

2. This is the unresolvable reason. There really arent any desktop GPU's that I can find that support astc which seems like a damn shame to me. But i didnt look too hard, and the information i found was pretty old.

3. Doesnt really have anything to do with the whole problem. currently you only support etc1 fallback.

Probably a good starting point would be to sort out etc2 with punchthrough alpha first, so that at least voidground can work if you have the support for ETC2 and not DXT1.
I'm building my smt_converter around supporting multiple output formats anyway, so if it comes up in the future i'll be ready.

Return to “Engine”