WIP: spring 64 bit for windows. - Page 2

WIP: spring 64 bit for windows.

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

Super Mario

Re: WIP: spring 64 bit for windows.

Post by Super Mario »

Anyways, I had stop trying create a 64 bit for windows, because the libraries need to obtain is a total pain in the ass for me.

Here somethings to note:
The spring code needs very little change in order to run windows, the main problem that it currently facing is that the majority of the libraries that spring is using don't have prebuild libraries for window 64 bit in a convenient fashion. Which requires me to have a wild goose chase on the internet, obtaining lib from gtk+ project to mingw pre-build binaries at sourceforge.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

now you understood why nobody did that (yet). i hope my warning about it beeing very troublesome was clear.

also you need to make the lobby 64 bit as well as it has to load unitsync...
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Some of the libraries that spring is using, got the "anti-binary" vibe I had come across before. Requires you to compile it manually when there is no reason to.
aeonios

Post by aeonios »

Silentwings wrote:What is the benefit of 64 bit Spring for windows?
Specifically, x64 processors have ~double the number of registers as the 32-bit x86 processors did, which the old instruction set cannot use. Additionally, in 32-bit mode function parameters are passed via stack whereas in 64-bit mode they're passed via registers, which is significantly more efficient. There might potentially be other benefits to 64-bit systems (ie AVX) that spring might be able to take advantage of too.
Super Mario wrote:Anyways, I had stop trying create a 64 bit for windows, because the libraries need to obtain is a total pain in the ass for me.

Here somethings to note:
The spring code needs very little change in order to run windows, the main problem that it currently facing is that the majority of the libraries that spring is using don't have prebuild libraries for window 64 bit in a convenient fashion. Which requires me to have a wild goose chase on the internet, obtaining lib from gtk+ project to mingw pre-build binaries at sourceforge.
Yeah I've noticed. Mingw isn't exactly magic either, and not everything compiles properly. I think I may give it a shot just to see if the stuff we need actually exists in a buildable form.
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

Whether or not those features translate into a material improvement is very dependent on the data types used by the program in question, since the potential benefits are offset by a potential overall increase in memory traffic; sometimes the 32 bit version can even turn out to be faster. Afaik the only way to tell is to try.
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Well, TA is 16-bit right? So there must have been some reason in the first place to make spring 32-bit, and wouldn't that same reason apply to make it 64-bit?
cranphin

Post by cranphin »

The main big (tangible) reason for 64 bit is a bigger address space.
Means you can have bigger maps/more units/ etc.
Or like what I ran into, more room if you want to add a Java virtual machine for running an AI :)

Note that it's not as easy as if you use more then 2GB memory you need it, since windows tends to fragment it's address space with things like dll's, and when you need a big continuous piece of memory it might not fit because of that, even if you're just using like 1GB yet. A 64 bit address space means you're not likely to ever run into that anymore :)

But in general, if you're not crashing cause your address space was full ('out of memory'), you're not likely to see a difference.
gajop

Post by gajop »

cranphin wrote:The main big (tangible) reason for 64 bit is a bigger address space.
Means you can have bigger maps/more units/ etc.
More memory indeed! That said, you'll probably run into a CPU/GPU VRAM bottleneck with larger maps and more units. At least currently.
However, we should definitely consider switching to 64bit at one point in the future. In the next 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if it became standard to have 32-64 GB RAM in gaming machines and at least 10GB used by games.
Remind me to check this post again then ;)
Forboding Angel
Evolution RTS Developer

Post by Forboding Angel »

Super Mario wrote: Why is there a 64 bit version for linux if you think there is no benefit of having a 64 bit version of spring?
Because just because the distro in question is 64bit, does not automagically mean that it is capable of executing 32bit programs.

Linux != Windows, don't get it twisted.
Super Mario

Post by Super Mario »

Forboding Angel wrote:
Super Mario wrote: Why is there a 64 bit version for linux if you think there is no benefit of having a 64 bit version of spring?
Because just because the distro in question is 64bit, does not automagically mean that it is capable of executing 32bit programs.

Linux != Windows, don't get it twisted.
You're late to the party, it been two months already.

Return to “Engine”