Engine Testing - 99.0-RC2

Discuss the source code and development of Spring Engine in general from a technical point of view. Patches go here too.

Moderator: Moderators

abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

second release-candidate for 99.0!

please test the new camera / give feedback as this is (imo) a major change as it changes the default.

Changes
  • new rotatable default camera
  • new shader based InfoTexture
  • new linux crashhandler by Major Bor3d0m
  • bugfixes & improvements
Changes in Detail:
changelog.txt
git diff last rc to HEAD

Download
See the download page for how to get it.

Bugs
If you find a bugs, please report to Mantis.
Please attach infolog.txt as file, if you crash!
current release (known) blocking bugs no major bug.
PicassoCT
Journeywar Developer & Mapper

Re: Engine Testing - 99.0-RC2

Post by PicassoCT »

Oh, noe, its ReleaseCanditazilla - Everyone run for your lives! Aaaaahhh...
smoth

Post by smoth »

abma wrote:Changes
  • new rotatable default camera
  • new shader based InfoTexture
details please!?!?!
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

some details to the camera can be found here:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32788

some details about infotextures here:

http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=562848
smoth

Post by smoth »

Excellent, most games use a lower LOSscale in an attempt to save fps.. does this mean we can bump that up again?
Jools
XTA Developer

Post by Jools »

Is there any particular reason that the new camera mode has to be default? Why not just add it and make it default a few versions later if that's merited?
nixtux
TechA Developer

Post by nixtux »

Any idea when the 32bit linux build will be built ?

Good Work btw and many thanks :wink:
xyz

Post by xyz »

First of all many thanks for the grate work.

I have played a chicken defence game yesterdat and it turns out that all-terain vehicles "monstersr" are thrown into the air every time they try to climb a vertical wall.
the map I used is this: 4_bases with the latest BA chicken defence mod.

Secondly, the new camera is a pain to play with, every time I tryed to scroll diagonally the map rotated.

Thanks again
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Jools wrote:Is there any particular reason that the new camera mode has to be default? Why not just add it and make it default a few versions later if that's merited?

idk, this question goes to jk.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

nixtux wrote:Any idea when the 32bit linux build will be built ?

Good Work btw and many thanks :wink:

buildbot is partly broken, use http://springrts.com/dl/buildbot/defaul ... 5/linux32/ instead (which you can't easily use for online play, sorry)
Silentwings

Post by Silentwings »

I'm curious to know why the new camera is the default? As far as I know ~everyone was happy with the overhead cam (ctrl+f2).

Spring does not remember which camera I was using in the previous game and always defaults to the "Spring camera". I don't know if this is a bug but if the default camera is suddenly changed, I think this becomes a clearly needed feature. (Setting CamMode manually works.)

Some feedback on the "Spring camera":

For me, the camera rotates if I try and scroll using the top left or top right of the side of the screen. Maybe a visual indication of which parts of the border are going to do this would be helpful. (+ability to disable it)

When I zoom in, the view moves towards centering the position of my cursor on the map. I think this is a nice idea. When I am zoomed in close to the map it seems to work well, but if I am zoomed far out and then try to zoom in on a particular point, it massively overcompensates in how far it moves the camera as I zoom and the result is I end up nowhere near the point I was trying to zoom into. I can make a video of this if needed. I tried changing "CamSpringWarpMouseToZoomIn" (it was 0 by default) but it seemed to make the problem worse. I think this is a bug.
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

Silentwings wrote:I'm curious to know why the new camera is the default? As far as I know ~everyone was happy with the overhead cam (ctrl+f2).
http://springrts.com/phpbb/viewtopic.ph ... 74#p564374
lamer

Post by lamer »

I got too many traces with DebugGLStacktraces = 1.
Should i make a bug report?
abma
Spring Developer

Post by abma »

when googleing for the event id (131185) this came up:

https://www.opengl.org/discussion_board ... ror-131185

doesn't look like an error for me. not sure if this message should be filtered out somehow.

imo no bug report necessary as you don't have a problem with DebugGL = 0 ?!
lamer

Post by lamer »

yes, no errors with DebugGL = 0

COFC is a bit jumpy. Feels like it sliding over stairs when fast zooming with scroll wheel.
Shadowfury333

Post by Shadowfury333 »

lamer wrote:COFC is a bit jumpy. Feels like it sliding over stairs when fast zooming with scroll wheel.
EDIT: The following seems to only apply to the interpolation of camState rx (and possibly ry and rz), not px,py, or pz. I'm guessing lamer is a Zero-K player, since that COFC has a tilt (adjust rx) while zooming option.

Yeah, something changed in the way the interpolation on Spring.SetCameraState() is handled. From what I can tell, before the camera engine code changes that function would cause the new interpolation to start from the camera's current location. If in the middle of a previous SetCameraState() interpolation, the new one would therefore start at that midway point.

The new engine seems, instead, to do the interpolation from the endpoint of the previous SetCameraState() call. This means that if you roll the scroll wheel while the zooming is only partly done, the camera will jump to where it would have ended up had the zooming been allowed to complete before continuing. Why this was changed is beyond me, as the old way was the correct way to handle user input on interpolated camera movement, but my guess is that a typo got introduced in the interpolation code during the rewrites.

Return to “Engine”